Adding a tank to an established system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay, I have a 30G oceanic cube that has been cycled for about 3 months now. Its in my office. At first I thought it would be cool to have a tank here, but in truth it sucks. Hauling water from home to here is a pain and etc. etc. etc.
So I am considering putting it inline with my big system at home. The question I pose is "if you stick a 3 month old tank on a tank thats been up for 2 years, can you consider that 3 month old tank to have the beneficial properties of a tank thats been up for 2 years?"
Almost seems like a really stupid question, but I am curious what you all have to say. My plans for the 30G would be a better home for my Mantis, or perhaps a Blue Carpet.

30G: 5G sump, SQWID on a mag 5, remora pro skimmer, 150W HQI with 2X65W PCs on a CPR overflow. Its been seeded with the "ebay det kit" from Bob, and has a standard clean up crew.

I had a 10 gal frag tank running for almost 8 months. I transferred it to a 20L and plumbed it into my main system. My frags are doing better than they were. No ill effects on the main as of yet.

well i just did this. i had my 46gal tank up for about 1.5 years and then added a 30 cube to it. i let the water run throught the tank for a few months in the dark to get the tank kind of cycled. then i got some live rock and pulled it off the system to let it cycle. when it was done cycleing i reconnected it. i did not see the big algea blooms that you get after the cycle. and the tank i think has a higher growth rate, becasue the 46 is giveing it really clean and good water.

i would say go for it.

Back
Top Bottom