Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Adding anenomies

Hope someone can answer a couple questions regarding adding anenomies to my current FOWLR tank.

I currently have a 29 gallon biocube that is well established and home to 2 clownfish , a midas blenny , a pink spotted goby 2 cleaner shrimp and a few blue legged hermit crabs.

I have been wondering about adding an anemomie with the hopes the clownfish would bond with it. So heres my questions.

Is this something that I can due without issues?

What type would best suit my current setup and stocking?

Could it sting and cause damage to others in the tank?

Do I aclimate it the same as I would a fish( drip method) ?

Sorry for all the questions but want to be really careful about adding things that might not belong.

Thanks .

Old 07-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

All nems will sting corals and most fish (other than clowns, they are immune to the sting).

The biggest question would be what type of lights do you have? Nems need very good lights.

Also just because you have a nem doesnt mean the clown will host it. There is no guarantee.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

My lighting is either a LED light or the metal halide that came with it.

Recently I have been useing the LED light a little more with the extremely hot weather we have been having since the other seems to heat the water up even more than it has gone up on it's own.

I have read that they might or might not host with it and even if they for some reason do not I figured it would probably be a nice addition and something different to look at.

Is there a perticular type that would be best?

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What kind of clowns are they?
Old 07-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

They are black and white with the exception of their noses wich are orange , I honestly am not sure exactly what species they are; at first I thought they were saddleback but the stripe goes all the way around and does not look like the saddle I have seen pictured of others.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba dude View Post
They are black and white with the exception of their noses wich are orange , I honestly am not sure exactly what species they are; at first I thought they were saddleback but the stripe goes all the way around and does not look like the saddle I have seen pictured of others.
Probably ocellaris or percula either way get you a bubble tip anemone. Certain clowns prefer certain anemones. But if it looks just like "nemo" just black instead of orange, it's probably one of the two I stated. Look at the stripes and some pics online and you can tell
Old 07-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
Probably ocellaris or percula either way get you a bubble tip anemone. Certain clowns prefer certain anemones. But if it looks just like "nemo" just black instead of orange, it's probably one of the two I stated. Look at the stripes and some pics online and you can tell

Yes just like nemo just black and white. I have looked a many pictures online and just can't seem to find a picture that looks like them. Very close but not quite. The saddle back has the same marking but the center band on mine goes completly around the body instead of only part way. Thanks again everyone for the help. I'll keep looking though.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ocellaris clown then. Look at green bubble tip anemones or rose bubble tip anemones, magnificent sea anemone, merten's carpet, all show to be compatible with ocellaris
Old 07-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Great , Thank you.

Will see if I can get out to a few stores this weekend and see what is available.

I assume I aclimate the same as I would a fish , drip method , remove 1/2 the water and repeat for a couple hour time peroid ( low and slow) .
Old 07-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have to add my thoughts on this, if you really do not what type of lighting you have, then you have not researched and you are not ready to get a nem, sorry, How old is your tank, what kind of lighting and I am guessing that if it came with the set up, it is fish only lighting, It is rare t.hat a package tank kit comes with lighting enough to keep a anemone. led's come in many different forms, power, par ect. Nems need high end lighting, an established 12 months old tank and pristine, stable water conditions, and you appears that you are using tap, your current set up is not capable to keep a nem, I know it not what you want to hear but it is what you need to hear, sorry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com