Adding another clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fergieturk

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an ocellaris clownfish and a yellowtail damsel in my 20 gallon. They are moving to a 165 gallon tank the end of this month – it currently has 2 green chromis in it. My question is can I get another ocellaris clown? Rod, my current clown, is pretty nice to the damsel, Reel. Reel is another story; if Rod picks at his food Reel will swim in front of him and steal it. I have had Rod for 6 months; if I add the new clown to the big tank at the same time I add Rod will they get along?

If you get a smaller one you may have success. I have before with ocellaris. This is not a gaurentee though, see if you LFS will take it back if you have problems.

I would be taking back the damsel when you catch em all to move em. Will most likely cause problems for any new fish you wish to add to your tank. Even bigger fish.

Rod, my current clown

Rod's a girl clown.

If you get a smaller one you may have success

I don't think that really matters in this instance, since your moving them to such a large tank, but it is sage advice with clowns. Not only should the new clown be smaller than Rod, it should be the smallest (or one of the smallest) housed together at the LFS. The reason is because clowns are wierd. They are all born neuter males, the largest most aggressive (or a solitary clown) in a clutch will change sex and become female, the next most largest and aggressive will become a functional male. The rest remain neuter males until one or both are removed, then the process starts over.

Not only should the new clown be smaller than Rod, it should be the smallest (or one of the smallest) housed together at the LFS.
Rod was the smallest in his/her tank (I'm having trouble with the whole sex change thing). Do that matter?

Rod was the smallest in his/her tank (I'm having trouble with the whole sex change thing). Do that matter?
Because Rod(ette) has been solo for so long, she has definitely become female. You want to insure that when you get the new clown, you get either a neuter male or a male (this equals smaller and not as dominant). If you put two females together...it is most likely they will fight maybe to the death. I doubt it would come to that in a 65g tank, but wouldn't you rather have a pair, male and female, than two feuding clowns?

So you are saying YellowTails are problematic?

And... I have 2 Percula Clowns.... I feed them Mysis - which they sort of like and AquaSalad (seaweed,etc.) which I can't tell if they eat because it disintegrates on its own. What is the best for them?

Back
Top Bottom