adding calcium in a 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve r

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i know this is kind of a pick over subject but i would like to fully understand whta i need to do.

i need to start adding some calcium. my level is at 320ppm right now. i have a some soft coral and coraline on the live rock. i think i need to get a better alk test. mine just says, high/low/normal. right now it sits right on the edge of high and normal. beside getting a better alk test what is suggested to use for dosing clacium. i saw a couple products that looked interesting.

seachem reeef complete
aragamilk liquid aragonite

any experience with either of these?

i am looking to add a couple of LPS in the near future, but i would like to get my ca levels squared away first

thanks as always for the info

steve a good product for something small like a 29G would be ESV Calcium buffer. Im sure you know but ALK is just as important as CA so my suggestion would be to get a good test kit for both CA and ALK and the ESV which has 2 components both CA and ALK which helps keep both balaned. HTH

i retract my statement and also agree with sump. Sorry had other things on my mind at the time. B-ionic is the stuff you are looking for. LOL thanks sump

thanks guys. i will look into a good alk test to go with the calcium test i just got. and then probably go with the 2 part b-ionic

thanks
steve r

i ordered the b-ionic two part. here is the next question. will the two part system bring my ca levels up or just maintain them? i need to go up about 100ppm ( i am 320ppm). i do a 5 gal water every two weeks with IO salt mix. do i need to add something else before the two part to get my levels up to 400-420?

thanks
steve r

Personally I would get a small jar of Kent Turbo Ca. Much less costly and easier to boost larger numbers when needed. With the ESV you'll need about 150-160 ml spread out over several days. With the dry CaCl you'll need about 5 tspn, still over several days. It can also be used to augment the IO before using for water changes.

Just be sure you keep tabs on the alk while raising the Ca, it will drop with large additions of any Ca additive.

Cheers
Steve

Keep a steady eye on your mg levels as you start increasing you ca. If the mg starts to slip, your alk test will start to show normal/low. Just need to keep the mg around 1350ppm or so.

GL

AFAIK, the additions of CaCl alone will not deplete Mg levels unless reaching precipitate danger zones where CaCO3 falls out of solution. Mg is moreso attracted to carbonates than straight forward Ca. Heavy alkalinity additions (buffers) will generally be the cause of Mg depletion.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom