Adding Calcium Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the right amounts it should not. If you add to much at once it can. If your water got cloudy try dripping the CA.

Is there some special reason you are adding calcium? Do you have a clam or something that is using up your ca?

As Kat asked, WHY are you adding Ca? Have you tested it and found it low? How about Mg? What is that testing at?

Do you need to add Ca beyond what a PWC will do for you?

I was told it will help the coraline algae grow. i dont have clam, just a couple pieces of coral. But like i said i was just adding, because i was told it helps the coraline?

What is your CA level? Please tell you you tested before you added. If your levels will not come up you need to check your Mg reading.

no didnt test it. wasnt told to. the lfs just said throw in this seachem stuff once a week and it should help you out. so do i need to worry about something now?

Do not add anything else to your water. I would purchase a salifert CA test and get a good CA reading. Once you have that we can help you more. LFS are notorious for having you just "throw stuff in" so you will come back and purchase more. Do you have any corals? If anything you can do a WC. Main thing high CA will hurt is your pumps.

Yes Dont add more calcium, get a test KIt, Water changes weekly should make your levels good.. You probably have way to much Calcium now..

Is it Reef Advantage Calcium or just Reef Calcium?
adcalcseachem7jl.jpg
reefcalcium9lo.jpg

The Reef Advantage also includes magnesium and strontium to help balance out the ca. The Reef Calcium is strictly ca and your ca level could be off due to just adding that and not magnesium and strontium.

If you have only done it once you probably haven’t hurt anything assuming you followed the directions. If you have been adding for weeks your ca could be off the chart and you may need to do a couple of 20% pwc.

Most salt brands are low in ca and often need additional ca additives if you have corals that require ca. As everyone mentioned you should never add to your tank unless you know you need the additive through testing though.

Back
Top Bottom