Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2004, 01:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Adding CC

I have a tank already cycled with LR with a 4-striped demsel in it. Its a FOWLR, with no substrate, wondering if I can still add CC? would it affect the water by adding it now? I think i'm too late in adding sand.

Old 04-04-2004, 03:19 AM   #2

Add sand, not CC. No you can still add sand now. Some people do it like this purposely since some inverts or fish can burrow under the rocks causing them to fall. So if there on the glass this can't happen.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
You're not too late to add anything. I'd rinse if off real well in a bucket first or a strainer. It will cloud your water but will clear up in a couple days. I prefer sand over cc as well.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

How would I add the sand now? clean it very well and then just dump it in the water?
or do I have to take out the water, rock and the 4 striped demsel?
thanks
Old 04-04-2004, 02:23 PM   #5
steve-s

I wouldn't rinse the sand at all. Once you find a good oolitic aragonite, it can simpley be scooped up with a plastic cup and placed in the tank. What I do is let the rim of the cup settle just below the water surface and soak up the water. Then gentley lower the cup to the bottom and gentley ease out the sand. There will still be some cloudyness but if you turn of the PH's while doing this it will be much easier. FWIW, the fish or anything else will not be bothered by the process except for a bit of stress while your hands are in the tank.

I have changed substrates from CC to sand with two fully stocked reef tanks and no casualties.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-05-2004, 02:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Im thinking of changing my CC out as well in a fully established tank...its a 125...so its not hard to do?? I had heard if you took out all of the CC and then put the LS in there it would cause all of the levels to go nuts....is this not true then?? How did you get the CC out and the LS sand in....at the same time?? A little at a time over days, weeks?
Old 04-05-2004, 04:49 PM   #7
steve-s

There is an article on the forum >>here<< that will help you.

You can either change it all at once or in stages. In any event there may be a slight algae bloom but there should not really be any spikes in the water if you transfer the bacteria back. Using a new pair of nylon stockings, cut them into short lengths and tie one end. Fill with the old CC from the tank and tie the other end. Bury the CC bags into the new sand and in no time it will colonize the bacteria and some of the fauna (if any is there).

You may get some cloudiness from the new sand but it's nothing to be concerned about nor will it harm anything. Just remember to turn off a majority of the flow while doing the procedure to reduce dust storms...

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-07-2004, 11:44 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Ayesha97 Send a message via Yahoo to Ayesha97
What is the advantages of using sand over CC? I was given quite a bit CC from a coworker and have it stocked in my tank. I was given the advice to add some sand over top of it. I was just curious if you could help enlighten me as to why and the differences between the two.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:19 PM   #9
steve-s

Surface area primarily. CC does not allow anywhere near as much surface area for bacteria as sand will. Also with the much larger grain size of CC, it traps detritus and foods quite easily making it hard for the animals to keep the tank clean on it's own. The smaller grain size of the sand will help keep foods and detritus on top where the fauna and crew can get rid of it much easier making water parameters easier to control naturally.

Placing sand atop the CC will not last either. As time passes the smaller grain of the sand will pass below the CC and the CC will rise to the top. FWIW, the cuke will not do as well with the CC either. Their natural habitats are more suited to a sand or fine grain substrates.

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com