Adding crushed coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jprice1612

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im looking in to adding some crushed coral to my established tank. Other than washing it thoroughly, how could i put the crushed coral in the tank without stirring it up and causing a mini cycle?

You'd have to rinse it real good first. Then you could put it in some large zip lock bags and open them slowly at the bottom of the tank to add to the existing substrate. Might make the water a little cloudy, but it will dissipate in a couple days and everything will be ok.

Crushed coral is fine. I wouldn't go to deep with it. People go nuts when certain things are brought up and crushed coral falls into that category. I have used it without issue. It all depends on how you maintain your tank. It's amazing how much mentioning certain things gets obvious replies. Go ahead and talk about getting a yellow tang in a 4 foot tank and people love to crap all over you. But someone post a video of their insane reef, chock full of SPS corals thriving, and it just so happens to be 4 feet long........not a peep is mentioned about the yellow tang swimming around. Forums never siese to amaze me.

Haha that is true. As of right now i have about an inch of live sand. The tank has been up for about 5 months. I was planning on doing a sand less tank but i decided to at the last minute and turns out i hate it. I figure crushed coral wouldn't get stirred up as easy so i figured i would add about a inch of it but not much.

I've heard of people putting a tube on a funnel that way it doesn't stir much up at all. Sounds like it will take longer, but much cleaner.

I wouldn't do it. It will eventually mix with the sand and make it look dirty. But if you do crushed coral is very dusty so rinse really really well. What I did was scoop it with a cup and put the cup all the way down to the bottom then dump it. Good luck.

How well did it work? Did it stir up much? Did your levels stay normal?

It worked fine it was cloudy for half a day but I rinsed it for the other half.

Back
Top Bottom