Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-01-2004, 11:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Adding Damsels?

Just wondering if it would be advisable to consider adding 1-3 damsels to my tank. My LFS is running a sale and I have always been attracted to them, but have refrained due to the fact that I have heard they can be overly aggressive and did not use them to cycle my tank originally for that reason. I currently have: Pygmy Angel, Brown Scopas Tang, False percula clown, firefish, purple dotty back, 2 chocolate chip stars, brittle star, cleaner shrimp, snails, and 3 condy anenomes.

I do not have LR(lack of lighting), but do have a lot of rock and coral skeleton in the tank for hiding places. These would be the last fish I would add. I do have a QT and would like to get them now before the sale ends and QT them for a couple weeks as I do not want to add any problems to my 75 gal display.

I am debating between a Domino, yellow tail or a three stripe. Would you add 1-3. Should I get all the same kind or one of each?

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 12:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to alarmguy66 Send a message via Yahoo to alarmguy66
All I can say is my yellow tails would be given away quickly if I could find a home for them. They are overly aggressive towards everything except my Yellow tang and Im really tired of it. 3 Stripes and dominos are supposed to be even worse.

Old 01-02-2004, 01:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks, this confirms what I have heard.

Old 01-02-2004, 12:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to toddwess
Quote:
Originally Posted by alarmguy66
3 Stripes and dominos are supposed to be even worse.
I had a three stripe - pure evil.

Todd
Old 01-02-2004, 12:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to toddwess
Re: Adding Damsels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afilter
I do not have LR(lack of lighting)
Quick question - you don't have LR because of your lack of lighting, but you have three condy anenomes.

What light do you have? How are they getting along with limited light? I thought these things needed real intense light . . .

Also, what and how do you feed them? I wanted to get one, but was curious how difficult it would be to take care of.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 01-02-2004, 01:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

FWIW, liverock does not require any special lighting and would be a great addition to your tank. It will create natural grazing areas for your tang and angel as well as adding biological capacity to your filtration. IMO, I would find it hard to have a tank without it.

I would probably also bypass on the damsel. The yellowtail would probably be the best of the bunch, but in your tank I think you are reaching your max load and this would probably cause some sort of issue with territory (especially if you don't have a lot of decor for hiding/out of sight spaces?).

If anything, I would add another very small false Ocellaris clown to have a pair.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 04:10 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do not have LR because LFS said I needed 3-5 watts/gal of light. Currently I have 80 watts in a single twin tube fixture on my 75gal tank. One 10,000k and one blue atinic bulb. The Condys are doing great with this lighting. If this is enough lighting I would like to start slowly adding some LR. Budget currently prevents me from adding more lighting.

I do currently have alot of lace, tufa and coral rock with numerous hiding places. I am starting to get some nice green/red growth on the rock I do have. All my water reading are right on.

As far as feeding the condys, I currently feed a piece of frozen shrimp or squid every 1-3 days. They are growing and seem happy as they do not move much in the tank. I bought these because the LFS said of all the anenomes they do not require as much light.

As far as the damsels I think I follow the advice so far and skip them. Also as of last night I am battling a bout with ICK. I managed to pull the four fish(purple dottyback died) to my QT tank for treatment.

If anyone has thoughts on LR I am all ears.

Thanks,

Old 01-03-2004, 04:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

tampabaysaltwater holds all their condys in huge tub with the only lighting being whats the building came with 2 40watts no tubes !!!
Old 01-03-2004, 05:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Keep in mind holding tanks are simply that, a place to temporary house livestock until they are moved.

But, being Atlantic anemones they do indeed thrive with less lighting than the Pacific species. I think that you can easily add liverock, there is no "required" amount of light for it. Coralline algae may thrive better with more lighting but it has no basis on the rock function as liverock or not. Liverock refers to the bacterial population on the rock and also the fauna that will live in/on it as well...they do not require reef lighting.

As you conquer this current bout with ick, remember in the future for all new additions to QT them before adding them to the display tank. It will eliminate the headache of having to QT all the fish.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 12:05 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hoops Guru,

Thanks for the info. I may start to add some live rock once I get through the ick issue.

Do you feed the live rock anything special. My LFS informed me that there are a number of supplements I need to add in addition to the trace elements I already use.

Tags
damsel, damsels

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com