Adding dead sand into tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yswong

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it OK to add dead sand into a 10 month old reef tank? Would it cause problems? Thanks!

why is the sand dead, did it dry out or what?

i have the same question also, full 5 gal bucket of once live sand, now dry, really could use it for a refugium

i guess i can start the refugium and keep it separated from my main tank and have it do its own cycle. then slowly do water changes between my main tanks water and the refugium. dont know when, but until i know its safe, i will connect or put in line with my sump.

sorry if i hijacked your question.

Well, I'm planning on adding more sand to my tank. I might get aragonite dead sand. I'm not sure it's safe or not.

cool thanks dragonforce.

should i use the dead sand im my refugium now or start a cycle for it on its own tank?

i have no fish in my tank, just LR and some snails, 1 hermit crab

Yes, it will be fine to be in your fuge now, the sand from the display will quickly seed the sand in the fuge. The sand will not have a cycle spike like LR does. Good luck!

Aragonite dry(dead) sand is the same thing as live sand, accept it's cheaper, and it doesn't come with all the good bacteria on it right out of the bag, instead, the sand needs to grow bacteria on its own, which it does fairly quickly.

Back
Top Bottom