Adding dry rock to a mature tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a small piece of dry rock (2lbs) and wanted to know if its gonna create to much ammonia to hurt my tank. I have 70lbs of live rock already, its a 37g btw.

I have a small piece of dry rock (2lbs) and wanted to know if its gonna create to much ammonia to hurt my tank. I have 70lbs of live rock already, its a 37g btw.

If it's dry it should be ok .
As long as there isn't anything dead or rotting on it .
Even if there was something on it , it's a small piece there should be enough bacteria established in there to deal with this tiny rock .

Your tank is already established ? Or is it still a new system ?

If it is dry, base, or even cured rock it is a good idea to give it a good scrub to get anything off of it that you wouldn't want in your tank. This could be anything from dust to mud/detrius depending on if it is dry, base, or once live rock.

Yet you're still buying more! Be careful, too much rock will create dead spots and can cause HUGE nutrient issues.

The small amount of rock you are adding shouldn't hurt the tank as far as ammonia production goes so I wouldn't worry about it. Like was said just be sure to clean it well.

Yet you're still buying more! Be careful, too much rock will create dead spots and can cause HUGE nutrient issues.

The small amount of rock you are adding shouldn't hurt the tank as far as ammonia production goes so I wouldn't worry about it. Like was said just be sure to clean it well.

I do, my tank is turned over 40x an hour and i do 5g wc every 2 weeks.

Heres your pic

image-3752987140.jpg

image-1077366826.jpg

image-1414270895.jpg

Also the reason theres not much coraline on the glass is because i have 2 urchins, a snowball and blue tux. They eat it all up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom