Adding Green Chromis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As for the chromis they say to do odd numbers as they like to be in a school. So I did 3 for my 75 and while they were in the 10 g qt they killed each other until there was 1. The lone soldier is doing great he is in the dt now and gets along with everyone.

After I lost the other two I did some more research and found out that if they are in a small system there is a greater tendency for aggression And to feed them multiple times a day to relieve some of the tension. Just food for thought...

Not sure if I'm going to try to add a few more or not I've read more than a few instance where they slowly picked off the weakest link until there was 1. Fortunately they only cost a few bucks but I hate killing the little guys...

It double posted :(

I also disagree. Dwarf angels would do fine in a 40 breeder. There's enough width and length for them to swim peacefully. LiveAquaria use to categorize flame angels in a 30 gallon maximum. And now they changed it to 70 gallons. Other sites still keep their requirements at 30. So as long as you have open swimming room in your 40b you'll be fine. They aren't like tangs that swim miles. They cruise around and pick at algae.

I noticed the change as well. Likewise, Vividaquariums has changed tank requirements for many of the species it sells. They used to have a yellow tang as needing 60 gallons and now it's 100.

Contrary to what I said in the beginning I might add a bottom dweller and a percher. Thinking goby/blenny type of combo. Reason is my Anthias likes to have a lot of swimming room which she now has and I would like to keep it that way.

Very cool fish. About 6 months ago I had an opportunity to get a mated pair with a pistol shrimp they were with. I regret not getting them.

Very cool fish. About 6 months ago I had an opportunity to get a mated pair with a pistol shrimp they were with. I regret not getting them.

Ahh that would've been awesome! Also thinking Neon goby and may be a tail spot blenny. Those are small fish and I feel comfortable adding a couple. I used to have a Neon goby, loved her color. Unfortunately she kept harassing my clowns trying to clean them so I took her to LFS. They sold her in 2 days which made me happy. She was very hardy too.

Nice wrasse which one did you get ?

Thanks. LFS had it just labeled as Christmas Wrasse and it looks like a Halichoeres claudia. He buried himself in the sand after about 45 seconds of checking out the tank. I will take pics of him when he comes out. Originally was going to get McCoskers flasher wrasse but I liked Christmas due to its green coloration.

Great fish! He is pretty!

Thanks! I did end up getting a dwarf angel, Coral Beauty. My Barlett's Anthias was beating up my clowns so she went back to the store. They had this guy, flameback, lemon peel and flame angel. I wanted to add blue color and the coral beauty looked healthier than the African flameback. So he came home with me.

image-2592859947.jpg

I just added a flame angel to my 125 and i absolutely love her!! Coral beauty was a front runner as well but the vivid orange of the flame won me over. Also going to do a school of 5 chromis as well;) good choice in fish

I just added a flame angel to my 125 and i absolutely love her!! Coral beauty was a front runner as well but the vivid orange of the flame won me over. Also going to do a school of 5 chromis as well;) good choice in fish

Congrats on your flame angel! Such pretty fish and tons of personality. I bet 5 Chromis would add so much color and activity to your aquarium.

I am sad to say I took the coral beauty back to the store earlier in the evening. He went after a bubble coral then a leather coral. I really liked that fish. The color and more importantly his activity. But can't afford to loose corals I care so much for. So I'm down to three fish again. Two clowns and the Christmas wrasse.
LFS has a nice reef ready 120 gallon tank for sale. 4x2x2. It looks so nice. Can't wait to get a bigger tank like that.

Awww im sorry to hear that. Sometimes we get stuck between a rock and a hard spot. I can honestly say, without any hesitation, take the plunge into a big tank.. I had absolutely no saltwater experience at all (i mean at all) and only had a 20g fw tank when i bought this 125. The amount of learning and knowledge it takes to maintain a sw tank is why i love this hobby (oh and the amazing fish obviously) even if moneys an issue, you wont even remember spending it when youre looking into your own big tank

Awww im sorry to hear that. Sometimes we get stuck between a rock and a hard spot. I can honestly say, without any hesitation, take the plunge into a big tank.. I had absolutely no saltwater experience at all (i mean at all) and only had a 20g fw tank when i bought this 125. The amount of learning and knowledge it takes to maintain a sw tank is why i love this hobby (oh and the amazing fish obviously) even if moneys an issue, you wont even remember spending it when youre looking into your own big tank

I had thought a lot about upgrading when I moved to a new home recently. It was easier to do it from a practical point of view. Either move the old tank or new one. Whichever I picked a tank has to be set up from ground up.
I opted out to keep my 40 breeder. I started out with a 6 gallon JBJ nano cube and got rid of it two days after I bought it. It was too small. Then got a 10 gallon followed by 30 gallon cube all within 2-3 months period. Mentally I just had to stick with my 40 breeder and enjoy it. Otherwise it would have been 4 upgrades in 3-4 months. That's crazy. Lol.
So I will give myself at least a year with my current setup and start thinking about upgrading then. I definitely see the value of a larger tank and appreciate your advice.

Back
Top Bottom