Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-24-2004, 10:21 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Like I said, they do require iodine to molt, additional would depend on the amount that is taken out of the system versus what is put back in to it. I have quite a few shrimp and crabs, and a lot of soft corals that do pull it out of the water column, so occasionally I need to add some to get back to NSW levels. I agree that extra iodine is bad, but the need to add it depends on what is using it. I also believe that some of the iodine is pulled out by skimming which over time could reduce the levels so far that it does cause a problem. I do agree, that for the most part it is not needed, but I would say that it depends on what you have in the tank, as it does with anything you dose.

Old 12-24-2004, 10:40 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
This artical may be of interest to you. ---> http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/chem.htm

Randy is a research scientist and knows how to really dig for information. This is his quote regarding Shrimp requiring Iodine "I could find no scientific studies that showed that shrimp need iodine from the water column".

It is one of many on the subject and they all tend to agree with a couple of critical points:

1 - Excess Iodine is bad (above NSW).
2 - Hobbiests do not have access to Iodine test kits that are accurate enough (+/- 0.5ppm where NSW levels are around 0.06ppm - 0.12 ppm)
3 - Animals get Iodine from food not the water column.
4 - Skimmers don't remove significant amounts of Iodine.
5 - Adding Lugols to the water is a bad thing.

Old 12-24-2004, 11:03 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Randy is a research scientist and knows how to really dig for information. This is his quote regarding Shrimp requiring Iodine "I could find no scientific studies that showed that shrimp need iodine from the water column".
That is a good article, but you need to remember to give a whole quote, not just the part that supports what you are saying.

The actual quote was" I could find no scientific studies that showed that shrimp need iodine from the water column, but neither could I find any that demonstrates that they do not."

Makes a difference doesn't it?
Old 12-24-2004, 11:46 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No, the point is that there is nothing supporting your claim that Shrimp require Iodine to molt and I have a LOT of experience with them showing that they do not.

I did not take Randy's quote out of context. The vast majority of hobbiests do not add Iodine to their water and it doesn't stop their shrimp from molting. They just keep on molting. I scrub my water with a lot of algae mostly for nutrient export but after my algae was analysed it's clear that it also exports a lot of Iodine.

I have kept Lysmata Shrimp for over 25 years, bred them, raised Lysmata larvae to adulthood, the full range. Adding extra Iodine to the water column typically shortens their lifespan to 2 or 3 years in my experience. I also used to believe the myth that they need extra Iodine to molt, I have proven to my own satisfaction that this is not the case. When raising Lysmata larvae the difficulty is keeping the Iodine OUT of the water column.

So, Yep, I respect your opinion and it's a valid opinion, I just resolutely disagree with it.

Peace.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:26 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

For those of you wondering when Bang Guy and I would start throwing punches, sorry we are just having a good debate. We touched base offline, and it is clear we are both trying to get to the same point and just have different view points. In reality, with the information I have read I am rethinking the addition of Iodine and will probably go for a while without adding any to see if things stay the same.

For everone out there that takes offense at some push back to their opinions, let it go this is the place to learn, sometimes heated, but always civil.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

J
Old 12-25-2004, 05:05 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Great debate. Regardless, I don't add anything chemical to my tank, and my peppermint shrimp molt just fine - so does my sally lightfoot crab.

Happy Holidays all!
55 gal. reef. Coralife lunar lights 4 x 65, 120 lbs live rock. Remora skimmer, 3 power heads. 2 tank raise false percula,2 pajama cardinal,hermits, snails, Xenia, leathers, mushrooms, polyp frags, yellow sea cucumber, And last but not least - the miserable mantis.
Terry
stusclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 07:10 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you're going to back off Iodine I would suggest doing it gradually. It might not make any difference at all, but doing things slowly has always paid off for me.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com