Adding live anemones,frags and coral to artificial reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rambo1224

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 3 yr old 6 ft tall, 28" diameter acrylic cylinder tank with an artificial reef insert going thru the center (from top to bottom). I have 2 AI LED light banks on the top. Right now I have some fish + inverts, but want to start adding some anemones,coral and frags to give it more color + reef like characteristics. My problem is that I can only reach about 2 ft down into the cylinder to place things, so basically whatever I put in will need to be just dropped in (I can't glue anything). Looking for some suggestions.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 96
I have a 3 yr old 6 ft tall, 28" diameter acrylic cylinder tank with an artificial reef insert going thru the center (from top to bottom). I have 2 AI LED light banks on the top. Right now I have some fish + inverts, but want to start adding some anemones,coral and frags to give it more color + reef like characteristics. My problem is that I can only reach about 2 ft down into the cylinder to place things, so basically whatever I put in will need to be just dropped in (I can't glue anything). Looking for some suggestions.

Thanks

Wouldn’t drop anything in if I were you also it’s hard to get enough light for the corals if you dropped then and they went down 5 or 6 feet, also feeding the corals and the anemones would be ridiculously hard if they were that deep so I would recommend keeping the corals close to the top, can we see a picture of the tank?

While the AI will provide enough light to support photosynthetic corals, there is a limit to this. There is almost no way you’d be able to support photosynthetic coral in the lower third of the tank...it’d require the lights on full blast and would fry anything in the top third.
If you want to keep photosynthetic corals in the tank, I wouldn’t try to do anything outside of the top third of the tank...but then things wouldn’t match.

Are there no power heads in there? I️ feel like there would be some serious dead spots in there as well as the issues mentioned above?

Back
Top Bottom