Adding live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irish64

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an established 75 gallon with a powder blue,red stripped hogfish,maroon clown,foxface and two anemones. Rose bulb and a long tentacle. I now wish I would have started with more live rock and was wondering if I could add a few more #s like say 10 or would that throw my tank way out of balance. I now have around 60+ lbs.

You can add more rock. Highly unlikely you would have a mini cycle. Just watch your parameters.

Also, have you had any issues with your fish? A 75g is a bit small for your tang.

The tang is a small one and I know over time he will out grow the tank. The foxface and tang did go around a few times at first but they seem to have worked it out. Still trying to get him to eat I just got my nori in today and will tie some on a rock and see what he thinks. He does seem to be healthy. Thanks for the reply I will try adding a little more lr

Is the rock already cured
is there any die off
wheres the rock coming from
if its coming from petco or a place like that be cautious most of the time it's not fully cured
you know you can add white base rock thats not live yet and it will become live in no time right
and you wouldn't risk any parameter swings
15lbs from reef cleaners $38. with free shipping
I bought some about 8 months ago and it took no time for it to color up and I had macros that took to it from existing rock in less than a month nice and porous lots of nooks and cranys in it its also light so you get a bunch

If adding live rock just add over time so don't rapidly increase but I'd go with base rock as said above takes risk out

I'd also vote for going with base dead rock. No parameter issues and it's usually very nice rock. lol It will color up to match the existing rock in a few weeks and be live probably after a few days. :)

Back
Top Bottom