Adding live rocked once tank has cycled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magnaflow

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey just wondering if I can do this at soem point.. Tank has cycled there is 2 fish in there and 3 little blue legged hermit crabs. Will adding more live rock whihc the lfs leaves runnig in water with powerheads and stuff be a problem? The only thing I can think of it the ammonia spike it might cause?

If the LFS is close and you keep it wet you should not notice anything as long as the rock is cured.

Depending on how many more lbs of rock I would do it in stages, if the rock peices are rather small you should be fine as long as the rock is fully cured. Just try and avoid peices with dead sponge on them.

Would only be a small ammount liek 1 rock @ 2-3lbs if that.. just soemthign to make it looks a little better.. lfs is 10 minutes away its all cured even has stuff growing on it in the water.. I pick out the mushroom corals :p also they wrap it and stick in a bag of its own water.

What sized tank and how many lbs of rock in there now? I'm thinking 2-3 lbs, of what you described as "really" live rock won't be a problem. But, just in case that stuff on the LFS rock is dead, I'd suggest 2 things. Give the rock the sniff test. Should smell like fresh beach water. Then watch the ammonia for the first couple of days to make sure there won't be any problems.

Your LFS really got live rock with shrooms and stuff on it? Wow! Like mentioned above, make sure they're not dead sponge.

Good luck.

i don't think you'll have any problems if the rock is that fresh and the store that close.

Just be sure not to add the water from the LFS to your tank... just as a general rule :wink:

Back
Top Bottom