Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Adding Live Sand..?

so i have a tank thats been up a few months and has a healthy stock and is very stable, i want to upgrade to a larger tank and keep everything from the smaller one along with adding another 20lb bag of arragalive to keep the same depth sand bed from the first tank, is this safe..? what will happen..?

Old 09-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You can do it if careful. Use some PVC into the sandbed to pour into to avoid having sand flying through your tank.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
You can do it if careful. Use some PVC into the sandbed to pour into to avoid having sand flying through your tank.
well dam thats a smart idea, so i shouldnt just dump it in there with all my fish out then..?
Old 09-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'd wait until the upgrade, move over the rock, add all the sand, and fill it up.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I'd wait until the upgrade, move over the rock, add all the sand, and fill it up.
im asking because i have the other tank right now lol and i just want to dump the new sand in, with the old, get my rocks setup the way i like em, and start filling with the old water then about 5gal or so of new water with the same filters and let it clear, then add fish, how long can they survive in a bucket with a bubbler..?
Old 09-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post

im asking because i have the other tank right now lol and i just want to dump the new sand in, with the old, get my rocks setup the way i like em, and start filling with the old water then about 5gal or so of new water with the same filters and let it clear, then add fish, how long can they survive in a bucket with a bubbler..?
Put the rocks in first. That way they are supported by sand.

Why use old water? Just fill it up with new, clean water and not have to worry about having essential elements depleted.

Use the filters on the bucket with your fish. Long as there is oxygen from water movement and heat you only need to worry about ammonia levels. The filtration will help with that, but is still check it daily for as long as they are in the bucket.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
so i have a tank thats been up a few months and has a healthy stock and is very stable, i want to upgrade to a larger tank and keep everything from the smaller one along with adding another 20lb bag of arragalive to keep the same depth sand bed from the first tank, is this safe..? what will happen..?
what size tank do you have now? And what do you want to upgrade to? How much old rock and are you adding any new rock?? It all makes a big diff?
Old 09-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Put the rocks in first. That way they are supported by sand. Why use old water? Just fill it up with new, clean water and not have to worry about having essential elements depleted. Use the filters on the bucket with your fish. Long as there is oxygen from water movement and heat you only need to worry about ammonia levels. The filtration will help with that, but is still check it daily for as long as they are in the bucket.
not good switching all your water at once. It's like doing a 100% water change. New parameters, not good idea
Old 09-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It's a new tank, just with cycled rock and sand. It shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't want to start a new tank and move nitrates over.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #10

Quote:
It's a new tank, just with cycled rock and sand. It shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't want to start a new tank and move nitrates over.
He said he's got stock and they are healthy

Tags
live, live sand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com