Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Adding Live Sand..?

so i have a tank thats been up a few months and has a healthy stock and is very stable, i want to upgrade to a larger tank and keep everything from the smaller one along with adding another 20lb bag of arragalive to keep the same depth sand bed from the first tank, is this safe..? what will happen..?
__________________

__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,542
You can do it if careful. Use some PVC into the sandbed to pour into to avoid having sand flying through your tank.
__________________

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
You can do it if careful. Use some PVC into the sandbed to pour into to avoid having sand flying through your tank.
well dam thats a smart idea, so i shouldnt just dump it in there with all my fish out then..?
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,542
I'd wait until the upgrade, move over the rock, add all the sand, and fill it up.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I'd wait until the upgrade, move over the rock, add all the sand, and fill it up.
im asking because i have the other tank right now lol and i just want to dump the new sand in, with the old, get my rocks setup the way i like em, and start filling with the old water then about 5gal or so of new water with the same filters and let it clear, then add fish, how long can they survive in a bucket with a bubbler..?
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post

im asking because i have the other tank right now lol and i just want to dump the new sand in, with the old, get my rocks setup the way i like em, and start filling with the old water then about 5gal or so of new water with the same filters and let it clear, then add fish, how long can they survive in a bucket with a bubbler..?
Put the rocks in first. That way they are supported by sand.

Why use old water? Just fill it up with new, clean water and not have to worry about having essential elements depleted.

Use the filters on the bucket with your fish. Long as there is oxygen from water movement and heat you only need to worry about ammonia levels. The filtration will help with that, but is still check it daily for as long as they are in the bucket.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
so i have a tank thats been up a few months and has a healthy stock and is very stable, i want to upgrade to a larger tank and keep everything from the smaller one along with adding another 20lb bag of arragalive to keep the same depth sand bed from the first tank, is this safe..? what will happen..?
what size tank do you have now? And what do you want to upgrade to? How much old rock and are you adding any new rock?? It all makes a big diff?
__________________
ivan_dalmatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Put the rocks in first. That way they are supported by sand. Why use old water? Just fill it up with new, clean water and not have to worry about having essential elements depleted. Use the filters on the bucket with your fish. Long as there is oxygen from water movement and heat you only need to worry about ammonia levels. The filtration will help with that, but is still check it daily for as long as they are in the bucket.
not good switching all your water at once. It's like doing a 100% water change. New parameters, not good idea
__________________
ivan_dalmatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,542
It's a new tank, just with cycled rock and sand. It shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't want to start a new tank and move nitrates over.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
It's a new tank, just with cycled rock and sand. It shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't want to start a new tank and move nitrates over.
He said he's got stock and they are healthy
__________________

__________________
ivan_dalmatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
live, live sand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.