Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2007, 06:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

adding live sand

hello all. my no3 is getting out of control. im staying ontop of wc .

i have a 55 reef with 70lbs lr established tank 7 years old.

i have about 2 to 3 inches of sand and a top layer of LS

i want to take the rock out and water and put another 4 inches of live sand ontop. will that spike any no3 or ammonia?

thx

Old 01-29-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What you are describing is a true "deep sand bed". It is a controversial method to hep in NO3 reduction. To my knowledge, there has not been too much empirical evidence to suggest it works all that well. In theory, it is sound. The major problem with DSB is that they can trap pockets of toxic gas and, when released, can foul your water. If you are looking at this as a solution to your NO3 elevation I suggest exploring the possible causes before your resort to a DSB. test source water and freshly mixed SW for NO3 and evaluate your food, as well as feeding frequency and technique. What livestock is currently in the tank and what are your current NO3 levels?

Old 01-29-2007, 07:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok . i have one eiblie angel and a coral banded shrimp many mushrooms and button polyps.

my current no3 reading is about 50 ppm. and growing. i did a 20 gallon wc yesterday. i tested the water i was putting in and it was 0

i just went to the pet store where my buddy works at he tested a fresh sample for no3 and it was at 0 could my tester be screwy ? i have the salwater master test kit by aquarium pharmaceuticals he used the same test kit that i have.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
It is possible your kit has expired. I believe they have an expiration date on the bottles.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:12 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I would have it tested at another place to be sure. How often are doing your PWC`s and as Brian asked have you tested your PWC water for nitrates.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok so i used my friends same exact test kit and it reads 10- 20 i think my tester is inop. . as for my pwc it tests 0

i just started to get back on my pwc last week after a long time not doing it ..

when i did do it i dug the syphon tube into the sand and alot of dark water came out into the drain bucket. i thought maybe i had released alot of toxic gas in my dsb is why my no3 went up .. but now im more leaning toward my tester malfunctioning
Old 01-30-2007, 03:08 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hmmm....I don't know about you guys but when I do PWC I take the water out of my sump and not the display tank. I have NEVER syphoned water out of the sand bed before. MorayMadness, do yuo have a sump, fuge? What kind of filtration are you using? Also the lack of doing PWCs contributed to your problem. PWCs are something that should really be done regularly. My thoughts....HTH
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

for filtration i use my sand bed 70 lbs lr and a simple mechanical filter.

i have a protein skimmer and in the return i have chaeto.
i take water right out of my display for i do not have a fuge or sump i did once but the plumbing got screwy and didnt have enough money for another pump system but is in the works. i now am getting on my PWC i am doing about 15 gallons a week. thats about more than 20 percent since my 55gallon is dense with lr and sand for volume.

thx !
Old 01-30-2007, 03:31 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I think you are doing great. There are some folks that like to vacuum their sand. Personally, I don't. I think a good selection of sand stiring critters will help keep the sand clean.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, live sand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com