Adding LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tank cycled over a month ago, and at the moment I have 1 clown and 3 shrimps.

I've got one large piece of base rock, which should now be liverock (bacteria-wise, from the live-sand etc.), and 2 other smaller pieces of base rock either side.

I want to replace the 2 smaller pieces with cured Live Rock from my LFS. Is there anything I need to do before I put the cured LR in and take the other 2 pieces of rock out?

I don't want an ammonia spike or anything, or my bacteria to be unbalanced.

Could someone give me some advice on this please? :)

I'm not an expert and I am super paranoid with my own tanks so take what I say with a grain of salt...
If your are 100% sure the rock is cured I myself would put the new rock in the tank, wait a week or so, make sure everything is good, take out half the old stuff, wait a week, test, then take out the rest
If your not 100% sure about the rock set up a tank with decent water flow and temp, run that new rock in there and monitor the water making sure you don't get a spike, when your ammonia is zero you should be okay to put it in. If there is die off and you are getting ammonia change the water out a few times a week

Like i said probably overkill but I'm paranoid...some one else have an idea?

When in doubt QT the rock for a few days. Check for ammonia after 24 hours. If non exists then your good to go into your tank. If you have some detectable amounts then wait another day and test again.

OK, I'm going to add 2 pieces of liverock, and also keep the base rock that's in there already.

I'm going to QT the new liverock for 4 days, checking for ammonia every day.

If I don't see any ammonia in the 4 days, am I 100% ok to put it in my main tank with no risk of spikes or problems?

Do I have to acclimate the liverock to my QT (and then main tank) in the same way as fish? Is it ok to pick up the liverock with my (rinsed!) hand?

If after 4 days you see no ammoina then your good to add to yoru tank.

Yes you can handel the rock with your hands with no problems. Some sensitive folks may become irrated from the water but the rock is fairly safe to touch.

Thanks...

Do I have to acclimate the LR the same way as fish?

i don't know about everyone i just know i don't.
a lot of people do dips and stuff before ever putting it in the tank
that I think would do more damage to the stuff on the rock then not acclimating it

Back
Top Bottom