Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-20-2003, 12:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Adding LR to sump instead of bio balls

In my 150 gal. I just added 300 lbs of SD sand w/ some LS,as well as 300 lbs of MI LR .Now I was going to put LR in sump for filtration .when Ihad bio balls in sump they sat on a grate not sitting soaking in water .How would I do LR in sump put grate in or out?If I leave grate in I can put my heater under LR and save room instead of cramming in w/ skimmer and pumps.I just want to know the right way to do it.

Old 04-20-2003, 01:13 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Why do you think you need any additional bio filtration in the sump? Why not just use the sump as a sump rather than a filter? You already have 600 lbs of bio media (LS & LR), more than enough.

Old 04-20-2003, 02:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

main tank is a little crowed someone sugested putting some of the LR in the sump where the bio balls where. just trying to get some feed back. also now that the bio balls are gone could I should I raise the water level in sump? I always kept water level just under balls so they wouldn't be sitting in the water.now that there gone does it matter ,I would just be increasing total volume bad idea ? I know not to raise it to much in case of power outage & back flow.what do you think?
Old 04-20-2003, 10:42 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
You could probably remove some of the LR altogether since you have so much. Possibly you could restructure the rock stack to open the tank up more? I agree with Mark...I'd use the sump for a sump...put equipment in there. To answer your question...yes you could put some LR in the sump, but I don't think it will serve any purpose other than taking up space. Have you considered adding a refugium? You could add a nice big fuge and put a few pieces of the LR in there.
Logan J
Old 04-20-2003, 10:49 PM   #5

Putting LR in the sump is counteracting exactly what you are trying to acheive by taking the bio-balls out. The LR would act as the same thing if put in the sump.
300 lbs is cool. Like Logan said, I would toy around with the idea of moving it around to allow more room..May take time but, you will see the benifit in the long run..and if you don't want it all in there, make some money and shipp some to your forum friends...
Old 04-21-2003, 10:17 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
Putting LR in the sump is counteracting exactly what you are trying to acheive by taking the bio-balls out. The LR would act as the same thing if put in the sump.
Not if it was underwater 100%. If it was in the trickle chamber yes it would act just liek bioballs but if it was submerged then it would be no different than the LR in the display tank. Just not under light like the display tank rocks.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 10:31 AM   #7

True true, forgot about that,,,duh..more bio-diversity..

Old 04-21-2003, 10:42 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I have to wonder if the small amount of denitrification gained by putting LR in the sump would be worth the loss of space in the sump though. My vote is still to add a fuge and put some of it in there .
Logan J
Old 04-21-2003, 11:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
take some of the rock out to free up some space and the left overs you could just give to me. hehehe. no i think the refugium thing would be kind of cool.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I dont know how to do a refugium

Tags
balls, bio, bio balls, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com