Adding LR to sump instead of bio balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwtowmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
In my 150 gal. I just added 300 lbs of SD sand w/ some LS,as well as 300 lbs of MI LR .Now I was going to put LR in sump for filtration .when Ihad bio balls in sump they sat on a grate not sitting soaking in water .How would I do LR in sump put grate in or out?If I leave grate in I can put my heater under LR and save room instead of cramming in w/ skimmer and pumps.I just want to know the right way to do it.

Why do you think you need any additional bio filtration in the sump? Why not just use the sump as a sump rather than a filter? You already have 600 lbs of bio media (LS & LR), more than enough.

main tank is a little crowed someone sugested putting some of the LR in the sump where the bio balls where. just trying to get some feed back. :wink: also now that the bio balls are gone could I should I raise the water level in sump? I always kept water level just under balls so they wouldn't be sitting in the water.now that there gone does it matter ,I would just be increasing total volume bad idea ? I know not to raise it to much in case of power outage & back flow.what do you think?

You could probably remove some of the LR altogether since you have so much. Possibly you could restructure the rock stack to open the tank up more? I agree with Mark...I'd use the sump for a sump...put equipment in there. To answer your question...yes you could put some LR in the sump, but I don't think it will serve any purpose other than taking up space. Have you considered adding a refugium? You could add a nice big fuge and put a few pieces of the LR in there.
Logan J

Putting LR in the sump is counteracting exactly what you are trying to acheive by taking the bio-balls out. The LR would act as the same thing if put in the sump.
300 lbs is cool. Like Logan said, I would toy around with the idea of moving it around to allow more room..May take time but, you will see the benifit in the long run..and if you don't want it all in there, make some money and shipp some to your forum friends... :mrgreen:

Putting LR in the sump is counteracting exactly what you are trying to acheive by taking the bio-balls out. The LR would act as the same thing if put in the sump.

Not if it was underwater 100%. If it was in the trickle chamber yes it would act just liek bioballs but if it was submerged then it would be no different than the LR in the display tank. Just not under light like the display tank rocks.

I have to wonder if the small amount of denitrification gained by putting LR in the sump would be worth the loss of space in the sump though. My vote is still to add a fuge and put some of it in there :mrgreen: .
Logan J

take some of the rock out to free up some space and the left overs you could just give to me. hehehe. :lol: no i think the refugium thing would be kind of cool.

It is a sump, with macro algae, lighting, and it encourages pod growth, fish eat pods. That is a good idea.

As d9hp said, the fuge is basically like another sump. It has a substrate, usually sand like the tank, some small LR or rubble, and often is used to grow some sort of caulerpa. There are no fish in there. I suppose you could keep a snail or two, but nothing else. The pods, since there is nothing in there to prey on them, will grow like crazy and will feed the fish as they are pumped into the main tank. If you choose to grow some macro (caulerpa), it will act as a nutrient sponge helping to rid your water of nitrates, phosphates, and other nutrients. I'd start with a search on this site for "refugium" and then go to both Google and www.about.com and run the same search. You will probably find more than you want to know about them :) .
Logan J

Search on this site and it will simplify things. You can use the sump you have. Logan covered what I didn't, thanks

Back
Top Bottom