adding more light, but.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermarvin76

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank is 50 gallons which measures 18" wide, and 20" deep. I currently have 2x 65w power compact unit. I would like to add another power compact light due to the width of the tank but I don't know if it is wide enough to fit another 2 bulb unit. My question is....

With another 2 bulb unit I will have 260w total which will give me about 5.2w/gal. If I bought a unit with only one bulb in it I will have 195w which is 3.9w/gal.

The differnece is 1.3w/gal. Is this really enough to worry about. I don't plan on keeping any SPS, and few if any LPS.

The other factor is the single lamp unit does not have a fan.

Just thought I would sneek this in......The ones I am looking at are the Current USA Satellite fixtures.

Any tips would be GREAT!!!!! Thanks

I had the same problem when we had a 55. We did have two light fixures, and one kind of hung off the edge a bit, not by much, but enough to annoy me.

If you plan on keeping mainly SPS, I would nix the idea of another PC strip. You'll be somewhat limited in your species types to moderate light corals.

You would be better off with an MH retro kit that would allow you to incorporate the PC's you have now.

How long is the tank?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom