Adding more live sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesd28

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey,

As it stands now, I do not have a very deep live sand bed. I was wanting to add some more live sand to my tank, but am unsure if putting a fresh layer over my existing sand bed will have any negative side effects (other than sand storm)?

As always, any feedback/advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

-James

You can actually minimize the sandstorm effect by using a piece of PVC and gently putting it into your sandbed where you want the new sand, and then slowly pouring the new sand into it - using the tip of the PVC to spread it (great tip that I picked up here)

I'm not a huge fan of deep sand beds unless you have real compelling reason to use it. They can hold an awful lot of crap, meaning that even a simple water change can end up kicking up a ton of nasty stuff, unless you're constantly on top of it.

Good luck!

Agree with the methodology described above. Be sure and turn off all pumps and powerheads in your tank, and don't turn them back on till the sand has settled. Also do not add more than about 1/4 to 1/2 of new sand to any given area in one 24 hour period, as doing so can cause the death of the very microorganisms you are trying to establish.

That sounds like a pretty good tip for reducing the sand storm! thanks!

I don't plan on adding a ton of new sand, just a small layer to give a little more room for burrowing for the watchman goby I plan on getting soon, as well as to add a fresh, clean look to my sand bed.

As long as I spread it pretty thin and dont completely bury the existing sand bed, I should be ok though? I dont want to proceed if negative side effects will occur. Have had my nitrate/nitrite/ammonia levels all at 0 for some time now with the help of an added koralia nano pump and a in tank media basket :)

Just add it very little at a time and you should be okay. In a tank the size you signature says I wouldn't go more than 1/8" in any given area at any one time. You're going to want to give the sand you have now a good vacuuming first as well to make sure you're not trapping any nasty detritus.

gotcha. I did a vacuuming last week actually. I was out of town for a few days and my brother never turned off the light, so I came back to a sand bed that was covered in algae. Cleaned it pretty well, but may have lost a little more sand than I planned, which is why I am wanting to add a little bit more.

Ever since adding the koralia nano pump everything has been much better, so I am hoping that there isn't much nasty stuff that has settled in my sand bed!

Glad to hear the positive feedback on the koralia as I'm expecting 2 of the 600gph jobbies in the mail today :)

Back
Top Bottom