Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2013, 12:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Adding more real reef rock

So I am running a 30g fowlr tank.

It has been running for about 4 months.

I started off with 20lbs of the real reef rock in there.

I now want to add more maybe 10-15lbs.

I want to know if this will cause an ammonia spike or somehow affect my tank?

I'm thinking that seen as though there is no live bacteria on the rock that it should be ok?

Old 08-31-2013, 12:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you want to add regualr old dry rock then its fine. If you are talking about live rock i would be very cautious to add it to a tank with livestock as there could be die off on it that will cause a spike.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:26 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

You will probably want to cure it. There can be dead stuff left on it.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Real Reef rock is brand name for rock that is neither, real, from a reef or actually natural rock. I don't believe it comes in "live" form so you should be ok to add it after a good rinse.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeYQM View Post
Real Reef rock is brand name for rock that is neither, real, from a reef or actually natural rock. I don't believe it comes in "live" form so you should be ok to add it after a good rinse.
It doesn't come in live, but when it went from live to dead those things can still be on it...all dead...
Old 08-31-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you go on there website it tells you about it.

I don't think that it has ever been live until it is your tank ad bacteria start to grow on it.

Here is a short paragraph about what the company says regarding bacteria etc.

'Real Reef does not harbor nuisance or parasitic algaes, inverts and unwanted hitch hikers. Wild live rock inherently is covered and impregnated with undesirable pests and decaying organic matter. In most cases wild live rock is not alive, as it died crossing the Pacific by boat.

Real Reef offers the aquarist a clean biologically active rock, which mitigates all the issues of wild live rock, including the process of waiting for the death to subside, AKA curing.'

The website is http://realreefrock.com.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

So it's base rock i'd soak it in RO/DI water for a day or two then put it in the main tank

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

What will soaking it in r/o water do?
Old 08-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Soaking that rock in RO/DI water would kill off any active bacteria in the rock. Don't think you would want to do this as that is what you are paying for with that rock. Looks like it is basically a pre cured and cycled rock (if I read their site right). You should be fine adding it directly to your tank if their website info is accurate. I have added BRS reef saver dry rock to my tank in the past with no spikes in any water parameters (after a good rinse of coarse). If you are worried put it in slow a piece a week or so and keep the rest in a container with SW and heater and power head.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok thanks,

I have just found this statement on their website:

'The end result of the manufacturing and growing process is a beautiful natural three dimensional coralline colored living rock made from 100% natural materials. This wild rock alternative is eco-reef friendly, with the basic building blocks to cycle and promote a healthy modern reef aquarium. Basic necessary components such as: Nitrifying bacteria, Micro Algae’s and some Coralline Algae varieties. Real Reef Mfg. does note grow or promote any unwanted hitchhikers and undesirables that wild live rock inherently is plagued with. As a result, Real Reef requires no curing or waiting for the dying, rotting and decaying biological material normally found on wild live rock.'

So does this mean that it is cured and safe to add? Or not?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com