Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2003, 03:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
adding more rock

i have a 65 gallon with about 65 lbs of rock in it currently and i would like to add more. the tank has been up and going for about 7 months. how much rock could i add to it if i added it now. beacuse i don't want the tank to go into another cycle with the dieoff from the rock.

Old 02-14-2003, 03:46 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I would recommend getting you live rock from your LFS (Deans). It will be fully cured and you can add as much as you can pack in your tank. As far as ordering it online, I would say you would have to cure it in a separate container.

Old 02-14-2003, 09:47 AM   #3

I keep adding a little at a time and it doesn't bother mine..mostly because I only buy from LFS. I also buy what looks good to me that way. Another plus to it is, the pocket doesn't feel it so bad.... I have gotten some really nice pieces getting it from my LFS.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:49 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
If you buy online you usually are stuck with a qty of 45lbs or more. Sometimes you can get it in 20lb incriments but really since you have 65lbs now I suspect you dont have room to add another 45lbs.

I would back MP by saying your LFS will be a good source for live rock so you can pick thru it and select rocks the size and shape you might need to complete your setup.

TO learn on how to cure LR if you get it off the net check out the thread here

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 11:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree with the piece to a time method after the initial loading of the tank. I started with the usual 45 lb box from Walt Smith and have been very happy with it. I then added some select pieces from the LFS that had unique shape and different types & colors of coralline. I needed a nice flat piece to build a shelf/cave with and found one that was perfect. I am up to 65 lbs now and my next purchase will probably be some Tonga branch to set on top of some of the Figi.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:46 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
A small trash can with a powerhead and heater can be set up to cure small amounts of LR. Curing a 45# box should not be a problem with this method.

Mark

Tags
rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com