adding more rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kribbz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have a 65 gallon with about 65 lbs of rock in it currently and i would like to add more. the tank has been up and going for about 7 months. how much rock could i add to it if i added it now. beacuse i don't want the tank to go into another cycle with the dieoff from the rock.

I would recommend getting you live rock from your LFS (Deans). It will be fully cured and you can add as much as you can pack in your tank. As far as ordering it online, I would say you would have to cure it in a separate container.

I keep adding a little at a time and it doesn't bother mine..mostly because I only buy from LFS. I also buy what looks good to me that way. Another plus to it is, the pocket doesn't feel it so bad.... I have gotten some really nice pieces getting it from my LFS.

If you buy online you usually are stuck with a qty of 45lbs or more. Sometimes you can get it in 20lb incriments but really since you have 65lbs now I suspect you dont have room to add another 45lbs.

I would back MP by saying your LFS will be a good source for live rock so you can pick thru it and select rocks the size and shape you might need to complete your setup.

TO learn on how to cure LR if you get it off the net check out the thread here

I agree with the piece to a time method after the initial loading of the tank. I started with the usual 45 lb box from Walt Smith and have been very happy with it. I then added some select pieces from the LFS that had unique shape and different types & colors of coralline. I needed a nice flat piece to build a shelf/cave with and found one that was perfect. I am up to 65 lbs now and my next purchase will probably be some Tonga branch to set on top of some of the Figi.

A small trash can with a powerhead and heater can be set up to cure small amounts of LR. Curing a 45# box should not be a problem with this method.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom