Adding more sands will cause ammonia spikes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank just done cycling but if I add in more sands will it start another ammonia spikes?

What about adding more cured liverocks? Will that cause another ammonia spikes also?

I would think you could add more sand in small increments. I would add a very little each week, or if you have no critters yet, I would get it all done now and wait it out.

As far as LR, if it is cured and it gets to the tank right away, you could be ok. But I would cure it in a separate vessel to be safe. Test and do PWC until amonia is 0. Same as the sand if your tank is empty though.

If you added dry clean sand then you should be OK. If you added bagged LS then you`ll probably get a small spike due to the dieoff of anything that was live in there. As far as the cured LR as Mike said if you`re not sure or dont trust your LFS then maybe you should check it out by curing it yourself at least till you know for sure. I trust my Lfs to tell me the truth and if it`s been there a few weeks then it`s going in the tank. Trust is a wonderful thing.

Back
Top Bottom