Adding Natural Seawater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachbumin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been reading several articles about the introduction of natural seawater to a reef tank. I live on the coast and was wondering if anyone out here knew anything about it. I have several corals in my tank and am cancered about adding the water but if its benefits outweigh the costs im all for it!! Most of the articles suggest adding a small amount of fresh natural seawater and letting the rest sit for about two weeks before using it. Basically im just looking for a little info on whether or not this is a good idea thanks guys!

Most public aquariums that are on the water use nsw, and I know many reefers that do as well. Provided the area is free oc commercial marinas and pollution, it's probably Ok. Best case would be to go a couple miles off shore and collect it there. Your in NC, not much tropical reefs around there, the water may need to be warmed before adding it to the tank, also check the salinity before using it.

Thanks for the info i figured i would need to heat the water first especially this time of year, ...burrrrrrr. Should i let the water sit first or would it be ok to add directly?

Should i let the water sit first or would it be ok to add directly?

Well there are pros and cons to both. Personally I would evaluate the water I was gonna get and decide. Your corals and fish may benefit from the live plankton, but it may just foul the water. If I were doing it it would most likely be to save money on salt mix, if that's the case I would bleach the water and then dechlorinate it to remove anything from the water that might be harmful, then you can add anything you need to to feed your corals and fish.

Honestly since im running only a 26gallon bowfront the price for water really isnt that bad. I'm more interested in the possible benefits and the cool factor of adding something directly from the ocean(backyard) in the tank. My only real concern would be that the water would fowl the tank or a harmful parasite might take over. After everything I've looked at im considering trying about a gallon of nsw that has sat for about two weeks along with my regular weekly five gallon change and record the results! I've never been steered wrong here and always get great answers to all my questions, thanks again!

You will probably not see anything different except slightly lower salinity, CA and ALK. I posted test results of the gulf on here a while ago, the real benifit for you would be the live plankton, but if the water sits, it will all be dead. Also 1 week may not be enough, I've always read let it sit for two weeks so any ammonia from the plankton die off has had a chance to be processed.

Hey beachbumin,

I live in NC as well and this is just not the area to collect nsw. Even if you decided to you would need to go out a good ways in a boat to collect. I would just not recommend it at least not our NC coastlines.

thanks for the helpful comments guys!!! I have connections with the local marine tech school so if i do it ill only be using gulf stream water. I have been kicking around the idea of a local catch only tank with nsw but havent looked into it deeply yet. thanks for the help guys! :mrgreen:

Hey Beachbumin,

Locally here in Hawaii we have a spitgot provided by the state that goes 3 miles out to give us unfiltered salt water. Our local aquarium also allows you to get free filtered sea water if you are a member. I still worry about introducing parasites from the unfiltered ocean water so I'm using synthetic mixes once again. ;)

John

I live in San Diego and can get free fresh sand-filtered seawater from Scripps Institute of Oceanography. I've used it for years with no problem. I think their pipe goes out about a mile or so. I've usually only let it sit for a couple of days before using it. I also work in a marine toxicology lab and this is the water that we use for all of our testing in the lab. Doesn't seem to cause our lab fish any problems either.

I have tried nsw on many occasions and I didn't notice any advantage. After talking with the owner of the LFS, he thinks that it is just easier than mixing the salt. I think that mixing makes a more reliable batch.

Back
Top Bottom