Adding new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I have a tank that has been set up for 3 years now. Have had a regal, yellow tailed damsel and a false perc in a 100 gallon. The regal is about 3 inches now. Very nice to the others in the tank and also the damsel is nice as well.
I found a yellow tang that is about the same size as my regal. The owner said he is very docile and is in a 135 tank. Im going to buy him. Any suggestions on acclimating him to his new friends in the tank? I know he and the regal will fight but for how long?
Also Im going to add him and then a couple more fish shortly there after once they go through the QT process so Im hoping that ALL of them being added shortly together will calm the nerves of each of them.

I have just added a yellow tang and watch out, they will have BLACK ich problem. You will need to QT him first before adding him to the tank. I didn't do so and now has got lots of headaches.

Also you will need to add him last as I was told they could be very mean to other fish that is coming in later. So get all your other fish first before adding him last.

Yes I have my QT ready now for him. Im wont be able to add all of the fish I want (which is only 2-3 more) until after him. This is a situation where a guy is selling off his stuff and I will be getting the tang in a week to two weeks. Not enough time to put the other fish I want through QT. But yes I QT ALL of my fish now.

You may not have compatability issues with the two tangs as they are of totally different body shapes. Adding the fish together will displace the aggression, that is a good idea. I really think your plan is a sound one and the rest is up to the individual fish.

Not every yellow tang has black ick. It depends on the tank where he came from or yours. I agree with Lisa that you have a good plan.

A follow up question would be while Im QT'ing the yellow tang, what other fish would go good to add as well? I have a regal in my main, as well as a false perc and a yellow tailed damsel. What else would go well in a 100 gal tank.

In the first place I dont think you should add any more till you get rid of this problem. But later on how about a goby. Sand Sifting one.

I`m sorry I got you mixed up with the black ick. What a dummy I am. But yes consider the goby. If you are considering a sifter then the bullet goby is good at that. If you want social then the pink spotted are great for that. Here is mine and again I`m sorry.

img_726091_0_cf20341d8247f24f16c2280d9b5ec597.jpg

No problem!! I was hoping you got my post mixed up with someone elses!!
Anyway, do you have to QT gobies I assume? I have heard they as well as blennies dont do well in QT..

I would QT for a few days anyway. So as to observe him for parasites or disease. Esp if he is a sifter and wont eat prepared foods. If he eats prepared food then he could stay longer.

Back
Top Bottom