Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Adding old bleached dead coral to cycled tank

Okay so my girlfriends dad used to dive and has this four or five pound chunk of coral he got back in the day that he gave me and i was wondering if i could put it into my tank. I soaked it in bleach water over night then i rinsed it and soaked it in dechlorinator and then today i let it sit in the sun all day. Now it was already previously bleached years ago and he had it in a freshwater tank for awhile and he recently pulled it out of the attic so i decided to give it a good clening just to be sure to id of any grossness. Now i guess my real question is am i safe to just pop it in there now since my tank is cycled and i have LR in there?

Old 11-29-2012, 11:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastertrcky
Okay so my girlfriends dad used to dive and has this four or five pound chunk of coral he got back in the day that he gave me and i was wondering if i could put it into my tank. I soaked it in bleach water over night then i rinsed it and soaked it in dechlorinator and then today i let it sit in the sun all day. Now it was already previously bleached years ago and he had it in a freshwater tank for awhile and he recently pulled it out of the attic so i decided to give it a good clening just to be sure to id of any grossness. Now i guess my real question is am i safe to just pop it in there now since my tank is cycled and i have LR in there?
To be honest i would soak it in a bucket of rodi for atleast a few days. This should allow any nasties or residual bleach to leech out. But thats just me being on the paranoid side of the fence. If a film develops on the surface after a few days then you will probably know its containing some stuff you want out.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #3

Other than that though i dont need to do like a full curing of the coral? From what i understand dry rock doesnt have a whole lot if anything that would cause any type of level spikes
Old 11-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastertrcky
Other than that though i dont need to do like a full curing of the coral? From what i understand dry rock doesnt have a whole lot if anything that would cause any type of level spikes
Im more worried about bleach inside the coral. Many cavities in coral skeleton. Ive had a bad experience with bleach so i err on the side of caution lol. But besides that no you do not need to cure.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:05 AM   #5

Okay so pure water takes all the bleach out? That easy?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:19 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

If you can smell any bleach at all on the rock, I wouldn't put it in. I would buy prime water conditioner and soak it for 8 hours then test for bleach. When you reactivate purigen you mix bleach with water 1:1. And soak it for 24 hours. Then you soak it in two table spoons of prime for 8 hours. It's kind of the same scenario.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #7

I already soaked it in a double dose of aqueon water conditioner on the second day after bleaching and rinsing.. is that what you mean?

Tags
coral, cycle, cycled, dead, led, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com