Adding old bleached dead coral to cycled tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mastertrcky

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so my girlfriends dad used to dive and has this four or five pound chunk of coral he got back in the day that he gave me and i was wondering if i could put it into my tank. I soaked it in bleach water over night then i rinsed it and soaked it in dechlorinator and then today i let it sit in the sun all day. Now it was already previously bleached years ago and he had it in a freshwater tank for awhile and he recently pulled it out of the attic so i decided to give it a good clening just to be sure to id of any grossness. Now i guess my real question is am i safe to just pop it in there now since my tank is cycled and i have LR in there?

Mastertrcky said:
Okay so my girlfriends dad used to dive and has this four or five pound chunk of coral he got back in the day that he gave me and i was wondering if i could put it into my tank. I soaked it in bleach water over night then i rinsed it and soaked it in dechlorinator and then today i let it sit in the sun all day. Now it was already previously bleached years ago and he had it in a freshwater tank for awhile and he recently pulled it out of the attic so i decided to give it a good clening just to be sure to id of any grossness. Now i guess my real question is am i safe to just pop it in there now since my tank is cycled and i have LR in there?

To be honest i would soak it in a bucket of rodi for atleast a few days. This should allow any nasties or residual bleach to leech out. But thats just me being on the paranoid side of the fence. If a film develops on the surface after a few days then you will probably know its containing some stuff you want out.

Other than that though i dont need to do like a full curing of the coral? From what i understand dry rock doesnt have a whole lot if anything that would cause any type of level spikes

Mastertrcky said:
Other than that though i dont need to do like a full curing of the coral? From what i understand dry rock doesnt have a whole lot if anything that would cause any type of level spikes

Im more worried about bleach inside the coral. Many cavities in coral skeleton. Ive had a bad experience with bleach so i err on the side of caution lol. But besides that no you do not need to cure.

If you can smell any bleach at all on the rock, I wouldn't put it in. I would buy prime water conditioner and soak it for 8 hours then test for bleach. When you reactivate purigen you mix bleach with water 1:1. And soak it for 24 hours. Then you soak it in two table spoons of prime for 8 hours. It's kind of the same scenario.

I already soaked it in a double dose of aqueon water conditioner on the second day after bleaching and rinsing.. is that what you mean?

Back
Top Bottom