Adding on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codyheitmiller

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So one I get ick settled down and what not I plan on getting more corals and fish. This is what I have so far.
1 yellow tang about 6"
1 flame angel about 3-4"
2 fals percs 2&3"
2 Ritteri anemoes
1 BTA
1 cleaner wrasse 4-5"
1 engineer goby 3"
1 emerald crab
9 hermit crabs
1 colt coral
1 green star polyp frag
All in a 75g tank with a mag 7 and 20g sump fuge.

It's a bit dirty due to cleaning

Attachments

• image-1961870536.jpg
    image-1961870536.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 129
Is that 75lbs of rock we're seeing in that picture?

I'd order a 50lb box of base rock for 85$ from reefcleaners and totally re-scape. Looks like you have ALOT of room in there. Also, you want your rock to be light and airy with lots of holes not dense and heavy. :)

LOL I can't see all that well. But yeah, i bet it would look awesome with alot more rock, especially if you're going to get into corals.

I have a similar setup to yours,75 gallon reef ready and a 20 gallon sump. I started off with 130 lbs of base rock and 35 lbs premium Caribbean LR.
IMO Carey is wrong in saying you need light porous rock.The denser the rock the better.

Attachments

• image-1954955083.jpg
    image-1954955083.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 98
I have a similar setup to yours,75 gallon reef ready and a 20 gallon sump. I started off with 130 lbs of base rock and 35 lbs premium Caribbean LR.
IMO Carey is wrong in saying you need light porous rock.The denser the rock the better.

hey i may very well be :) I was under the impression you wanted very porous rock so that the critters and bacteria can populate it.

I'm sure someone with more experience than myself will chime in!

hey i may very well be :) I was under the impression you wanted very porous rock so that the critters and bacteria can populate it.

I was going to say the same thing, you're better off getting porous rock, more bacteria for your buck that way, but as he said, to each their own. I like a lot of rock (and my fish love all the caves that come with it)

Well I'm giving up on the guy from petco. He's not answering my messages and keeps putting it off till the next day

more porous rock means more surface area that can be populated by bacteria meaning more "filtration". Weight has nothing to do with it. Obviously you want pieces that aren't going to float away in the current, but you do not want as dense as you can find.

Back
Top Bottom