Adding Overflow to a 55 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EBR

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Everyone --
Is there any way to add an overflow to a tank? I've got a 55 gal that I used with a FW, and am reusing it for SW. Perfectly good tank, although I am now seeing how an overflow would be really nice, since mine is starting to get that surface slick. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Matt

Overflow box

I used a CS50 to create an overflow from my 30Gal into a sump I added. They also make larger sizes of the same product.(http://www.premiumaquatics.com/thestore/prods/CS50.html) for more info.

Using an overflow box is the easiest way to add an overflow as you don't have to drill any holes in your tank. However, always keep in mind how your system is going to behave if the siphon action of the overflow were to stop for any reason...

I use a float switch to kill the return pump anytime the water level suggests that something odd is going on.

Float switch went off for the first time ever just this morning. A snail had crawled into the overflow. He didn't stop the flow, but cut it back enough that the float switch said "something is wrong".

you could take it to a glass shop and have them drill a hole for you in the glass so you don't have to mess with any sort of syphon.

kribbz said:
you could take it to a glass shop and have them drill a hole for you in the glass so you don't have to mess with any sort of syphon.

This would be your best option. You would probably have to have it drilled in the back glass though as most 55gal and up tanks have tempered glass bottoms and cannot be drilled. You could either have it drilled at the level you wanted the water to stay or you could have it drilled low and install an internal overflow box to regulate the level. This would essentially make it a "reef ready" tank.
If you do go with an external overflow, I like the U tube types best. This one looks good to me as suggested above.
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...e=PA&Product_Code=MLA-PFB-1&Category_Code=MLA

It says they are out of stock though. You might check with Darin at Captive Reefs or I can see if I can get you one through my wholesaler if that's what you decide to go with.
The external siphon type offers easy installation and quick setup...takes about 5 minutes to get it going. It has a higher potential for a mess though if the siphon ever fails. The internal will take up a little more room inside the tank, will take longer to set up as you'll have to have the tank drilled and silicone in an internal overflow, but it will cut the chances of the tank running over to almost 0. I would say the prices will be pretty close on either method.

I know a guy with a used CPR overflow i could put yopu in touch with. He is in bridgeport connecicut.

CPR

How does the CPR overflow act in a power failure? Does it require a power head to be hooked up to it in order to maintain the syphon?

How does the CPR overflow act in a power failure? Does it require a power head to be hooked up to it in order to maintain the syphon?

Yes. They need a powerhead to restart the syphon. A very bad design in my book.

I like U tube style overflows like the one that americale sells or the ones here www.lifereef.com

I have the life reef double overflow on my 80 gal tank and it runs great.

CPR overflow..

The CPR is designed so that the siphon won't break in the event of a power failure. Nevertheless, the powerhead is there to ENSURE it starts no matter what. It is also my experience that siphons tend to accumulate air even when running normally, which can eventually break the siphon action. The powerhead removes this accumulation also.

In my books, an overflow supplemented by a RVT powerhead is a better way to go than a simple tube.

No doubt, the preferred way to go is to drill the tank...but that wasn't an option in my case.

I have never experenced the 'simple tube' design not starting up automaticly upon power failure. I have heard many stories about CPR overflows not starting up upon powerfailure or the powerhead that they had to help prevent the collection of air fail to start upon power failure.

Our "simple tube" design has never failed to restart in 7 years... and our power goes out on a regular basis. Snow storms, hurricanes, high winds. Come to think of it, the last year has been a rough one ;)

Back
Top Bottom