Adding prime to RO/DI water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

360º

Aquarium Advice FINatic
does anyone add prime to RO/DI saltwater for its slime coat benefits and other stuff that it does?

I don't. I've done over 1700 gallons of PWCs on tanks I maintain in the last 15 months and not a drop of prime. Fish create their own slime coat naturally, if they are not, something else is wrong. You should not need to add it unless you are treating the fish for a disease or to replace slime coat lost due to distress, even then I don't know if you would.

One of the tanks I took over had 800+ ppm (yes, 800) nitrates and I still didn't use it.

I add Prime to my tap water only for my sole survivor Fancy Tail Gold fish... But I recently stopped and I am now using the water that you buy from the machines. Like from Culligan (SuperWalmarts Only) or Glazier I think at Krogers they have dates on the machines when they have been serviced.

...Fish create their own slime coat naturally, if they are not, something else is wrong. ...

Bingo. I remember reading somewhere that many slime coat "enhancers" actually work by irritating the fish so that it produces an even thicker slime coat. That never seemed too healthy to me. Kind of like protecting yourself from skin cancer by laying out in the sun every day for an hour so you had a tan to protect yourself...

Back
Top Bottom