adding rock to your tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hello,

I have some rock that looks cool but has never been in a saltwater tank.
If its known to be clean is there any problem to add it and use it as base rock?

Thanks,

--Mike

Are you talking about into an established tank or just starting. Welcome to AA

I'm think its established.
120 gal thats been up for about 3 months.

all the sand, rocks and bioballs came from a 55 gal that was up for about 3 years

all levels are where they are supposed to be.

1 clown
1 enemome
1 purple tang
2 damseils
1 sand sifting goby
1 little yellow goby
1 cleaner shrimp
1 4 headed flame coral
1 green brian coral
and a bunch on live rock, probably about 50 lbs

I would make sure it is cured before I put it in. It could cause a spike in ammonia if not cured.

thats what I was wondering.
How do you cure it?

If there is a link to a site let me know.

thanks for the help.
I've been looking for a good site and this one is the best so far.

--Mike

If the rock is dry, it does not need "cured". "Curing" rock is simply allowing most of the dead material that arrives on new liverock (dead matter is from the stress of collection and shipping) to be removed, decompose, and begin processing bioload rather than feeding it.

However, you still haven't mentioned what kind of rock it is...only that it has never been in a saltwater tank before.

I really don't know what kind it is.
It just has a cool shape to it.
Dont think its ever been in saltwater before.

I was going to clean it real well and drop it in.

Without knowing what it is, clean or not I would not add it....at least not right away.

I would take a bucket and fill it with water and measure the PH, hardness, and phosphates and then add the rock and test it again in a week or two. If nothing changes, I would then consider it.

Back
Top Bottom