adding sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianeww

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have to (or at least want to) add to the depth of my sand bed. I already have some critters living in it ( feather dusters eg.) which came with my live rock. If I want to add sand, can I just dump sand in , will they burrow their way to the top? Or will I be killing anything which is currently at the surface of the sand? What's the way to add sand?

They will find their way to the surface. I used a piece of pvc pipe and poured the sand slowly. This way I can direct the sand where I want it to go and it doesn't fill the water column.

Thank you for this hint! I surely don't want to suffocate or crush anybody, and even if they will come to the surface, maybe I can direct the majority of the new sand away from the critters i can at least see.

You'll still have a bit of a sand storm but I wouldn't worry. The oceans reefs aren't always calm. If you have corals, I would gently blow them off with a baster if necessary.

No corals, haven't even got a fish yet! Will soon be posting a list of my favorites, and hopefully get some opinions on what goes in first, second, etc.! You folks always come through for us beginners!

Back
Top Bottom