Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-20-2006, 04:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Adding Sand & Rock

I am starting a 150 Gallon FOWLR. I just added 100 lbs. of sand ( 40 of which were live). I rinsed the dry sand. It has been 2 days and the water is still pretty cloudy. I have all pumps off except one powerhead. I get my live rock tomorrow(100 lbs). Should I expect any problems when putting the rock in a cloudy tank?

Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
You will just have to blow some of the sand once it settles on your lr off with a turkey baster or ph later on. Other then that it won’t hurt your lr.

Odd that it hasn’t settle down after a couple of days. Did you pour it directly into the water? When I add sand I pour it through a 4” pvc pipe to keep the dust storm down.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:22 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Mine took several days. You`ll be OK
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:23 AM   #4
The sand and turbidity will settle. I would run all equipment just as normal while this is settling also. It all depends on how much micro fine dust was in the sand that you used..

I have seen it take a week. As far as the rock goes, you will be fine putting it in there.. it will also help in providing somewhere for it to settle on... Then as was mentioned, blow it off with a turkey baster (one of the most important tools to have).

Also, once the LR is placed in it, the bacteria will start to spread and help keep the sand down...

Old 03-21-2006, 11:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to hackteck
my sand storm lasted about 2-3 days
hackteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
O.K. guys, thanks for the replies. I just added 40 lbs. of base rock and 90 lbs of live rock. It looks great!! I started all my equipment back up. Do I need lights yet? Also, when should I start testing the water? Is there anything else I need to be doing right now?
150 Gallon FOWLR
Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
I would leave the lights off or on only 2-3 hours a day to minimize the diatom bloom you will have at the end of your cycle. Test your water in a week and see how your nh3, no2 and no3 are doing. when your nh3=0, no2=0, no3<20ppm then you should be safe to add livestock. Other than that it is a waiting game till your cycle is done.

65 gal reef
2 PC's 192W each , 20 gal sump/fuge
4 false clowns, 2 firefish, cardinal, midas blennie, toadstool, zoos, shrooms, trumpet coral, torch, pagoda, frogspawn, poylps, red open brain, devils hand, hermits, snails, 3 cleaner shrimp, coral banded and a emerald crab.
canyon15 is offline   Reply With Quote

rock, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com