Adding Sand & Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am starting a 150 Gallon FOWLR. I just added 100 lbs. of sand ( 40 of which were live). I rinsed the dry sand. It has been 2 days and the water is still pretty cloudy. I have all pumps off except one powerhead. I get my live rock tomorrow(100 lbs). Should I expect any problems when putting the rock in a cloudy tank?

You will just have to blow some of the sand once it settles on your lr off with a turkey baster or ph later on. Other then that it won’t hurt your lr.

Odd that it hasn’t settle down after a couple of days. Did you pour it directly into the water? When I add sand I pour it through a 4” pvc pipe to keep the dust storm down.

The sand and turbidity will settle. I would run all equipment just as normal while this is settling also. It all depends on how much micro fine dust was in the sand that you used..

I have seen it take a week. As far as the rock goes, you will be fine putting it in there.. it will also help in providing somewhere for it to settle on... Then as was mentioned, blow it off with a turkey baster (one of the most important tools to have).

Also, once the LR is placed in it, the bacteria will start to spread and help keep the sand down...

Cheers,

O.K. guys, thanks for the replies. I just added 40 lbs. of base rock and 90 lbs of live rock. It looks great!! I started all my equipment back up. Do I need lights yet? Also, when should I start testing the water? Is there anything else I need to be doing right now?

I would leave the lights off or on only 2-3 hours a day to minimize the diatom bloom you will have at the end of your cycle. Test your water in a week and see how your nh3, no2 and no3 are doing. when your nh3=0, no2=0, no3<20ppm then you should be safe to add livestock. Other than that it is a waiting game till your cycle is done.

Back
Top Bottom