Adding sand to an established tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcolbath

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have about 2 1/2 in. CC in my180 gal. reef and I would like to add maybe 2 in. of sand. Can I do this? will it upset my system? I have 230 lbs. LR and several corals in there now Is it too late to think about adding the sand? I was thinking if I was to use a small plastic bag and pour the sand on the bottom in little piles them I could spread it out without to much of a sand storm. Is this a bad Idea? Has any one tried this and if so were you happy with the results? Thanks, Rory

Your method sounds like a good one. No matter what you do, you will get some cloudy water.
What I did was add about 1/2" in depth and let it sit for about a week, then add another 1/2" and so on.
Didn't seem to bother anything and kept from suffocating the little sand critters.
HTH

Thanks alot Quarry. I was hoping someone had tried this. I wasn't thinking when I set tank up But I like the natural look of the sand and I heard the CC can be a nitrate factory. I'll do it a little at a time. Thanks,Rory

Have fun, its tough to get it in there to the places you want it. Especially if you have a lot of rock. I darn near went swimming trying to get it in certain tough places. 8O
Well worth the effort though. I took my tank from a 1.5" sand bed to a 4" sand bed in about 70-80% of my tank. Along with the removal of my bio balls, it brought my nitrates way down.
Oh ya, make sure to turn off your PH's too. :wink:

Looks like I have my work cut out. What sand do you recommend ? Heres the tank
img_269304_0_7b24120ae9a6ad9ad10515152fa8a910.jpg

Check out the coralline alage Cheap camera sorry. 4 weeks in.
img_269304_1_e5f45cc95d53a2a4dd6053305c492f8e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom