Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2004, 05:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Adding skimmer during acclimation?

This has a bit to do with being impatient so if I need to be talked out of it go ahead and do so. At the same time be honest and don't just say "Wait". I ordered my Aqua C Remora hang-on today (after hearing so many great things on this site) and it won't get here 'til sometime next week. The only problem is that the LFS has the perfect undulate trigger I want for about 25 bucks. If I get him this weekend and then add the skimmer a few days later will it mess with the acclimation period? Should I let him get acclimated for a few weeks and then add the skimmer?
He is the first guy we'll be adding after keeping a few starter fish so don't see a need to QT.

Thanks in advance for the help, Derek

Old 05-06-2004, 06:32 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
The skimmer won't make a difference to the fish. There probably isn't a lot in the tank for the skimmer to remove at this point anyway. JMHO.

Old 05-06-2004, 08:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
He is the first guy we'll be adding after keeping a few starter fish so don't see a need to QT.
I disagree, first fish or not QT is always important. It will be a major chore to remove the fish to a hospital tank if there is a malady, as no fish should be treated in the main display. In addition, it is a great way to get a fish used to eating in captivity and establishes good habits for the future. It's your own choice, but looking back I would never take the chance again since it requires so little effort.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 01:38 PM   #4

Here's more info that may help..........since I will now be adding larger, "dirtier" eaters I started curing 20 more pounds of LR in my QT. Otherwise I would definitely use. I just figured since it was the first that it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Would this be alright, pay for the fish and have the LFS hold it for about another week just to make sure it still looks fine. I know this isn't ideal but would it be worth it to wait?

thanks again, Derek
Old 05-07-2004, 01:50 PM   #5

Just out of curiosity...You do realize when undulated's get bigger they get very nasty and usually unleash a hefty wrath amongst tank mates?
Old 05-09-2004, 03:28 AM   #6

Well, I had asked about other types of fish that may be suitable in a previous thread. A snowflake moray and a zebra lionfish, after knocking it around I figured that the lionfish's ins may not go well with the Undulate. What else may be suitable?
Old 05-10-2004, 01:13 AM   #7

Well so much for that. Took a trip to the LFS this morning and found the Undulate near dead in the display. Poor li'l bugga. If I come across another "perfect" fish I guess I'll go ahead and use the QT!
Thanks for the info
Old 05-12-2004, 02:35 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

If you would have bought it, it would of been floating in your tank and not the lfs. Could be the reason they were letting it go for the amount you said.

Undulated Triggers are one of the more aggressive triggers. I would get a Clown before an Undulated. Sounds like you want a very aggreesive tank with the choices you have mentioned.
50 gallon saltwater fish only...1 mated pair yellowtail damsels, neon dottyback, tomato clown, huma trigger, lemonpeel angel, 12 stripe wrase, bi-color blenny, dozen or so hermit crabs-scarlet and mexican, cerith snails, turbo snails, orange linkia starfish, 50 plus pounds of purple-pink coraline encrusted rock and a few mushrooms.

Redsea prism protein skimmer, 404 Fluval, UGF with two 201 powerheads.

7 gallon tank with 6 pounds of live rock and countless brittlestars, 5 hermit crabs, snails and 1 False Percula Clown fish and Camel Back Dancing shrimp
1neondottyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 02:37 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

If you would have bought it, it would of been floating in your tank and not the lfs. Could be the reason they were letting it go for the amount you said.

Undulated Triggers are one of the more aggressive triggers. I would get a Clown before an Undulated. Sounds like you want a very aggreesive tank with the choices you have mentioned.

50 gallon saltwater fish only...1 mated pair yellowtail damsels, neon dottyback, tomato clown, huma trigger, lemonpeel angel, 12 stripe wrase, bi-color blenny, dozen or so hermit crabs-scarlet and mexican, cerith snails, turbo snails, orange linkia starfish, 50 plus pounds of purple-pink coraline encrusted rock and a few mushrooms.

Redsea prism protein skimmer, 404 Fluval, UGF with two 201 powerheads.

7 gallon tank with 6 pounds of live rock and countless brittlestars, 5 hermit crabs, snails and 1 False Percula Clown fish and Camel Back Dancing shrimp
1neondottyback is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acclimation, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com