Adjust Daylight and Moonlight Lights Seasonally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm considering starting another tank in the near future, and have been considering a 28 gallon biocube. It comes with daylights and moonlights to act like sunlight and moonlight in nature.

These lights really interested me. I live in an area where daylight hours change quite a bit between summer and winter months. During summer nightfall arrives at around 8 PM and the sun is up before 6 AM and in winter nightfall comes at 5 PM and sunrise is at 7 AM.

I was just wondering, out of curiosity mostly, that if I would start another aquarium, should I adjust the switching between daylights and moonlight seasonally or should I stick to a basic 12 hours for each schedule? The room I would put the tank in has a window (although the tank wouldn't be near it) so the fish would get sunlight whether I adjust the lights seasonally or not. I'm just wondering if one should adjust their lights seasonally.

But if you wanted to, just for fun, there's an app for that. Kinda. Keep in mind that you don't want the sun & moon cycles for a northern climate - you want tropical reef conditions. The Apex controllers have an annual sun & moon schedule you can use to control your lights accordingly, and it's based on 15deg latitude. Pretty cool idea but it's so far off the hours we'd want to look at the tank that I haven't bothered to try the feature.

- D

don_chuwish said:
But if you wanted to, just for fun, there's an app for that. Kinda. Keep in mind that you don't want the sun & moon cycles for a northern climate - you want tropical reef conditions. The Apex controllers have an annual sun & moon schedule you can use to control your lights accordingly, and it's based on 15deg latitude. Pretty cool idea but it's so far off the hours we'd want to look at the tank that I haven't bothered to try the feature.

- D

Good point. I think I'd go twelve hours for each bulb. That's easiest

Back
Top Bottom