Adjusting Calcium while keeping Alk in line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BillyZ

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've recently added a rock with some shrooms to my system and so the time to keep on top of my Calcium and Alk have arived. I just did a 20% water change yesterday. Readings as of 5 minutes ago:

Ph: 8.0
Ca: 310
KH: 7.0 (Meq/L: 2.51)

What I've purchased to keep my ca/kh in check is Bi-Ionic as I've heard a number of folks here use and like it and it keeps things in check.

Now, the Bi-Ionic directions say to add equal parts of each the Ca and KH daily. But, according to this web site, Chemistry and the Aquarium (which is a great read mind you) It says a common mistake in adjusting the levels in the way I need to is adjusting both which ends up throwing either the Ph, KH or both out of whack.

So, my question is should I just use the Ca additive of the Bi-Ionic to bring my Ca levels up, then once they're up use the product as directed, or should I use both parts right from the start?

Thanks everyone!

So, my question is should I just use the Ca additive of the Bi-Ionic to bring my Ca levels up, then once they're up use the product as directed, or should I use both parts right from the start?

Actually I would fix the saltmix and do a waterchange, get it balanced or within range and then use the product as directed, if needed. With only rock and some shrooms, it should be an easy task to maintain CA and ALK levels with waterchanges alone. Once you get into more stoney corals you will need the additive.

I had high CA and was using bionic and so i thought "oh, ill just stop using the ca side" After that i talked to someone that said you shouldnt do that you should use BOTH for it to stablize the KH and CA. My ca is now 490 and stable. But like reefrunner said you need to have it where you want it first then use the bionic because all its really doing is holding your current parameters in check .

Back
Top Bottom