Adjusting PH if at all for Fish only LS/LR Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Max_in_SD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My PH hovers around 7.7-7.9. I read enough on these boards to not use the buffers to raise it up so i have been leaving it as is hoping that once my tank matures more it will go up.. my tank has been up for 3 months now.

125 Gallon Long w/ canopy
2 Fluval 404's
3 Medzoo Powerheads
1 Seaclone skimmer
80 lb LS
15 lb LR

1 Bird Wrasse (female)
1 Tang
1 Porcupine Puffer

0 ammonia
0 Nitrites
5 ppm Nirtates
1.022 Salinty (refractometer measured)
Alkanilty tested with strip said ideal

One of the things i tried was to add more air by placing some oxygen lines on the surface because the aqaurium is acyrillic and its enclosed then covered with the canopy. I dont want to add the buffers because i am afarid that what will happen is my fish will die.

Max_in_SD said:
One of the things i tried was to add more air by placing some oxygen lines on the surface because the aqaurium is acyrillic and its enclosed then covered with the canopy.
This is part of the issue, especially if you do not have a large open sump. The tank is not getting enough free flowing gas exchange. Bubblers or airstones will have little if any impact. The best means of increasing gas exchange is at the surface of the water. Creating a brisk rippling effect at the surface as well as good flow throughout the tank is typically key but only if the tank can breathe. Your alk being at an acceptable level will commonly indicate the problem being evironmental, not chemical so the buffer would have a short lived affect on the pH.

What model are the Zoomeds, the 226 or 228? What is the distance from the top of the 404's to the top of the tank? Can you post a pic of your tank top area?

Cheers
Steve

PH now at 8.0

Well one night after adding those hole lines and 1:30 of my lights being on when I came home my PH read 8.0. Cant be sure if it was just the lights coming on or the holes that i plugged into the zoo meds. I have the 228 model.

DSCF0393.JPG

DSCF0395.JPG

DSCF0394.JPG

Your problem is definately aeration then. If you have a canopy, you should try removing the covers. It will greatly improve the natural pH. When the lights come on, algaes will produce O2 aiding the increase in ph so it could be that in part. Do the lights have a seperate splash guard?

What time of day have you been testing the pH. Early morning, afternoon or evening?

Cheers
Steve

yeah the lights have a cover on them...

my lights come on from mon-fri 5 pm - 12 am
sat/sun 12 pm - 12 am

what i can probably do is remove the lights to allow the open square holes for more aeration and get another powerhead to stir up the tank so i can add another gas line. I have been doing it mid-day sometimes and at night before i hit the sack. gonna have to regiment my self to keep doing it on a constant time that way i can get a better average

You added pics, didn't see those earlier 8O

Actually you don't need to remove the lights, just elevate them some so air can flow beneath them. As long as they have splash guards, you can remove the acrylic covers from the tank itself (not the lights) and air will flow better. A fan at the rear of the tank would help as well. You will be suprised what a few minor adjustments like that would do.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom