Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-06-2005, 02:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Adult vs juv size???????????

I've read online that an adult queen angel would grow to be over 1'6". I've never seen one get that big in tank. The largest i've seen in the ocean MIGHT get that big. I was wondering is the 1'8" was a little on the high side.
If so, what kind of adult size should i use when planning my tank?

Keep the spinning side up
BigDog54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 09:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
If I'm correct, according to your other posts you are wanting to put this in a tank with another large angel and about a dozen other fish.

Queen angels can and will reach 50cm (20 inches), 200gal for that fish alone, but with all the other fish you want you will need a tank 500gal ++.

StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 09:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Thats a good question and I was wondering the same thing with sw species in general. I would imagine some species reach there adult size within a short period while others grow over a period of years.

I always get the smallest hardiest looking fish I can find at the LFS regardless of species unless there may be a compatibility issue with its size. I imagine you can always return a fish that has outgrown its take to most LFS a receive some sort of store credit. Local public aquariums would probably also accept these fish as a donation.

Its not a fish but I once had a Burmese Python that reached a size I was no longer able to handle after just 17 months. It was 24 inches when I got it. It still may be at the Cincinnati zoo for all I know.
natman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I've seen queens while diving that approach 2 ft. Now mind you these may be over 20 years old and have unlimited room and food.
For any large angel, I would say a tank of at least 180 gallons and then only one. Like Matt stated for 2 you would really need a tank at least 500 gallons. Otherwise they will fight as they grow. They are quite territorial.
quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com