Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #21
Lt.
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was rearranging some.plants (nothing major) and my bigest 3.5 inch Angelfish didn't like my hand in his territory. So he bit my left index finger. And in all seriousness, it HURT, and he took a small but noticeable piece of skin out too. No blood, but a tiny raw spot. They're potentially viscous little buggers.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
Quote:
Originally Posted by George9 View Post
If you had a tank full of zoas and you touched a body part after getting tank water on your hands, could you potentially see a reAction or do you have to contact the actual coral?
There is less of a risk just having your hands in there. The caveat is that you don't know if they have been upset by something else and let some palytoxin out. If it's in the water then it's on your hands. Pretty simple to either use gloves or wash up.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:06 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also cut them in a container of water less chance of it squirting at you. I had it once squirt over my shoulder after that I always cut them underwater in a bucket or Rubbermaid tub.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:25 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fishy View Post
Also cut them in a container of water less chance of it squirting at you. I had it once squirt over my shoulder after that I always cut them underwater in a bucket or Rubbermaid tub.
That's a good idea about cutting them underwater. 1 squirted over your shoulder?! Holy crap. That zoa mustve been PISSED.. Or just scared soo badly it pissed itself.. *shrug*
Old 07-19-2013, 02:50 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've been squirt in the face by one, thank God I have my glasses on. Bigger zoas can get some distance. Also fragging in water is the way to do it. I use a big Tupperware brand "leftover" container, that is only used for this. Don't put the water back in the tank after fragging, bad idea. Those possible toxins will be in that water. Something else I've picked up is to do a quick coral dip. Helps.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com