Adventures with palytoxin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was rearranging some.plants (nothing major) and my bigest 3.5 inch Angelfish didn't like my hand in his territory. So he bit my left index finger. And in all seriousness, it HURT, and he took a small but noticeable piece of skin out too. No blood, but a tiny raw spot. They're potentially viscous little buggers.

If you had a tank full of zoas and you touched a body part after getting tank water on your hands, could you potentially see a reAction or do you have to contact the actual coral?

There is less of a risk just having your hands in there. The caveat is that you don't know if they have been upset by something else and let some palytoxin out. If it's in the water then it's on your hands. Pretty simple to either use gloves or wash up.

Also cut them in a container of water less chance of it squirting at you. I had it once squirt over my shoulder after that I always cut them underwater in a bucket or Rubbermaid tub.

Also cut them in a container of water less chance of it squirting at you. I had it once squirt over my shoulder after that I always cut them underwater in a bucket or Rubbermaid tub.

That's a good idea about cutting them underwater. 1 squirted over your shoulder?! Holy crap. That zoa mustve been PISSED.. Or just scared soo badly it pissed itself.. *shrug*

I've been squirt in the face by one, thank God I have my glasses on. Bigger zoas can get some distance. Also fragging in water is the way to do it. I use a big Tupperware brand "leftover" container, that is only used for this. Don't put the water back in the tank after fragging, bad idea. Those possible toxins will be in that water. Something else I've picked up is to do a quick coral dip. Helps.

Back
Top Bottom