Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Douglas4701

Aquarium Advice Freak
What advice would you give to a freshwater aquarium guy/gal interested in starting a salt water tank?

Must have sump/protein skimmer?

I def am certain research is number one... But my question may be rephrased... Even with all the research what are some things you missed or messed up on?

54seaweed said:
take it slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

the best advise I got

Amen to that.

Start with deciding how big it is to be. That will determine much of the decisions on equipment.
Set a budget. This can be like gambling. Honest dear...I won't buy any more fish or frags...

Last edited:
Douglas4701 said:
I def am certain research is number one... But my question may be rephrased... Even with all the research what are some things you missed or messed up on?

I would say stocking. Decide before starting what kind of stock you want. Salt fish and inverts or not cheap. To lose one or any for that matter. Do to bad stocking plan is flushing money down the toilet.

Try to sit down and formulate an end goal for your tank. Knowing what type of sw tank you want to have in the end really helps to guide you in the proper direction along the way. Also, take ANY advice you hear and research it thoroughly. Jjst because some teenage worker at pet store A Says "sure thatll work just fine" does not mean that its true. Oh and dont believe the typical "smaller tanks are easier than big tanks"

Invest in a quarantine tank, especially if you plan to have invertebrates. This doesn't have to be big or fancy. I use a 10 gallon with a powerhead and a HOB filter. I learned this the hard way, after having to catch fish out of a 75 (requiring a total re-arrangement of the rock) and losing over half my fish to ich.

(1) QT tank will help keep various nasties out of your display tank. That whole setup can cost less than a typical fish and can be broken down in between purchases.

(2) Figure out what your end goal is as far as fish and/or corals. Make sure you get a tank large enough and keep in mind that you will likely want larger, regardless of what size you start with. I regret doing a 75g this time. Should have just done 120g and am actually leaning towards larger. Bigger is better with saltwater for a variety of reasons.

(3) Research and ask questions here before buying anything. Post your equipment plans to get feedback and post your fish stock list to see what everyone thinks. You will get good advice here.

(4) Keep in mind that your LFS is there to sell stuff and make money. Never assume that just because it is clean and the owner says they have lots of experience that they are always going to give the best advice. Some "old folk" are stuck in old ways of doing things and some places will give questionable advice. "It could work" probably means it won't.

These are great suggestions. Money is not an issue, not to brag, but we will definitely be taking it slow, talking, learning, researching. This is something I plan to do with my father at his house.

We are thinking of going with a 40 to 50ish biocube, and keeping it minimal... Perhaps a couple clowns and shrimp. Thoughts?

Amen to the fish store clerk knowing it all lol.

To those folks who said that they would never buy fish or frags. What doth thou mean?

Back
Top Bottom