Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes they do. And different recipes for meatloaf often have different baking temperatures. Does that mean we should disregard turning the oven on?
Take suggestions with a grain of reef salt, but don't disregard them completely. And certainly don't suggest to novices that they ignore them! That's just irresponsible.

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bringing this all back to the OP...your Tangs will need greens. They will probably eat anything presented, but meaty stuff is not as healthy for them. They will probably also be okay for a while being in a smaller tank. It's not near ideal, but probably not deadly either. Adding them all at once could cause spikes, so watch your parameters. That could be deadly.

In the end, yes, some info out there seems arbitrary, but when all else fails, use common sense. Both of those Tangs will get big and that will eventually cause problems. I will guess Ich being a common one. That will subject other fish to that in your tank and it will be continual QT or death. Why subject them to that when there are so many other great fish out there that would work in your tank?

Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

My comments are everything but arbitrary. They are based on decades of experience and the experience of my marine biologist friends I dive with. If you don't care to listen to me...that is fine, but don't attempt to justify your desires by discrediting my information. If you want a tang, go buy it. Just don't whine when it develops ICH. Mandarines are another example of people wanting to believe they have the time and expertise to keep this little fish for its natural life span. 90% of you do not. There are the lucky ones, but in general most of these fish go into the toilet. Same with tangs. Some on this forum announce they have just bought their 2nd or third ones after the previous ones died. What do you think has changed? On any forum, experience counts. It is where the value of the forum lies, other than showing off pictures. When a newbie wants to argue with someone with years of experience and thousands of posts, they are taking their own chances and need to learn the hard way. I just wish it didn't kill off fish. It's the sole reason I closed my LFS, I got tired of people marching in with zero experience, but loads of attitude. The name of this thread is "advice." not "let's argue about my insistence I will have a tang."
Old 12-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

In addition to all the greens that are out there for feeding tangs I know a person who breeds blue tangs and he feeds them romaine lettuce and they go nuts for it! He says almost all tangs will devour it?
Old 12-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Romaine isn't a bad fish food, so long as marine based greens are in there too. Just avoid things like iceberg lettuce that has almost no nutritional value.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 to the romaine. My tangs used to love it. I would do mostly seaweed/algae and then throw some lettuce once a week to let them graze on during the day. I was told variety is good for them, just not necessary.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

It really depends on your definition of necessary. A human can live for decades in a closet fed nothing but water and vitamin enriched spirulina. But they wouldn't be healthy. Variety is very important to fish. One way to ensure variety is to make one's own fish food. I did this, and this fishy muck contains anything and everything an omnivore of the ocean could ever want. I through in some live macro algae for the foxface to make sure he gets everything he needs. I rotate between four types.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

Agree to the home made food & adding variety. If a person ate microwave dinners every day they might maintain weight but wouldn't be terrible healthy overall. Fresh or frozen homemade food is unprocessed, you can choose your ingredients and its not all that hard to do.

While I do feed flake & pellet along with algae sheets & live, frozen and home made food, I look at my dogs for the reasoning. Dog food, being highly processed, contains many fillers which are highly indigestible by them - corn for example. I feed them grain free foods and they eat less/produce less waste. I figure its likely that fish are the same. Less waste is always good.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com