Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2005, 05:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Advice

I am interested in setting up a saltwater tank and am prolly going to go with a pretty big tank. I am starting new and want to know about compatibilty. The saltwater fish I like best are the Clown, the Puffer, Tangs, and Stingrays.

Just with my experience with fish thus far I can guarantee that not all of these fish are compatible with each other.

I really love Puffers and Clown fish though...

Any advice on what type of tank I will need, How many tanks would I need minimum to get these fish and what are some combinations I might be able to mix.

I am totally new to Saltwater and want to learn as much as possible... What should be my 1st step in beginning a setup?

Old 12-02-2005, 09:34 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Kudos to you for asking the questions first! The first step is deciding what you will want in your tank and then whether or not your wants fit your budget. Except for the very fewest of tang species, they require a large tank. Others may drop the size down a bit, but IMO a 100 gallon is the smallest you should consider. Stingrays, I am sorry to say, have no place in the home aquarium. Puffers (many varieties, each with different needs) are rather messy eaters, and would dictate the purchase of a protein skimmer. Clowns have no special needs, except for tankmates that will not use them as snack items.

Browse through the multitudes of sites such as liveaquaria.com that have pictures, basic needs listed, create a "possibilities" list and then we can help a bit more!

Old 12-02-2005, 12:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

What are reef tanks and are they required for a saltwater tank? I am gathering they are acrylic and not the normal shape of aquariums (corner/rectangle)

Is it true puffers and Clowns can't be kept together? because the puffers eat coral or something to that effect?

Thats odd about stingrays... The LFS has a small Stingray with clowns and Tangs and the guy said they are pretty peaceful, just keep sand so they can bury themselves.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

A reef tank simply implies that you are keeping corals as opposed to a fish only tank.

Aside from needing about a 200 gallon tank, saltwater rays require greater attention than other animals would.

Corals and puffers are problematic because the puffer will eat all of the snails, crabs and shrimp that help to keep the reef healthy and they produce a huge amount of waste.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplawrence
A reef tank simply implies that you are keeping corals as opposed to a fish only tank.

Aside from needing about a 200 gallon tank, saltwater rays require greater attention than other animals would.

Corals and puffers are problematic because the puffer will eat all of the snails, crabs and shrimp that help to keep the reef healthy and they produce a huge amount of waste.
Clowns require the Reef though right? So they can't be kept together with puffers right?
Old 12-02-2005, 04:07 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Clowns do NOT require corals or anemone to be happy. People often make that assumption but it is not valid.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

So clowns and puffers could co-exist together?
Old 12-02-2005, 07:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

If the tank is large enough, clowns and a puffer may work. Clowns and puffers are semi-aggressive (at least territorial with the clowns). Puffers should not eat the clowns at the very least (they will however eat just about any snail or crab, which means higher maintenace for you on algae removal).

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

How large will the tank need to be and what will I need to get started looking up and setting up for?

Should I use living sand on the bottom or something else, Will I need living rock or something else?

When you say more work do you mean more cleaning up by hand rubbing algae off the sides of the tanks? The puffer will eat shrimp also?
Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

in refrence to the sand and liverock question i would say about 1-2 lbs of livesand per gallon and the same with liverock about 1-2lbs, i bought 40lbs of aragilive sand for my 29 gallon tank and it was pretty expensive i know you can buy regular sand and put liverock on it and over time it will turn into live sand which will help keep your nitrites low... as far as the size of the tank for puffer and clowns in the same tank i dont know, i do know however i have one clown in my 10 gallon and im getting a mated pair of true percula clowns in my 29 gallon tank.. clowns are pretty small nonagressive fish, while puffers can be quite messy and raise your bioload quite a bit and they then to be more agressive then clowns.

29 gallon saltwater "reef tank", 10 lbs crushed coral, 40 lbs aruglive sand, two percula clowns, one firefish,cleaner shrimp, blue legg hermits, 25 pounds fiji live rock, penguin 350 biowheel filter, prism delux hang on protien skimmer, maxijet 1200 powerhead, 125watt ebo jager heater, regular floresent lamp.
mattt6511 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com