Advice about my new Naso Tang...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not bringing in a fish with Marine Velvet would have decreased my deaths too...lol Thats what happened in October, Velvet hit hard and killed all my fish but a 6 line wrasse. It was devistating thus my QT system I have now...

Start it on live- Get black worms and/or a couple spoon fulls of brine. That should get it going. I just went through the same thing with my blue throat trigger...It took him 3 days to eat live, and another two before he eats everything I throw at him. ;)

black worms are a bad idea for tangs, angels or any other mainly herbivore fish. I have learned this the hard way. what can happen is they can eat them numerous times with no ill effect then all of the sudden they are completely bound up/constipated and usually die within 3 days. I have personally seen this with blue and yellow tangs as well as dwarf angels.
Recently talking with the owner of a lfs he mentioned that he had a large naso that he had for over 3 years, that had that exact same thing happen.

It is tempting as they are readily available and you can feed them and see no ill effects or have your fish bloat up and die in a few days, it really is a toss of the dice, but I've seen it enough times to not want to risk feeding black worms to my salt anymore.

Interesting. I've used them a hundred times on finicky eaters. Lucky I guess.

it does seem to be a roll of the dice, but I've seen it enough and always the same that I'm very cautious about them now.
I agree, blackworms have gotten a few picky eaters to start eating for me.
It does seem to be mainly tangs and angels, but have also heard of the same with butterflies.

White worms are better. The saltwater doesn't kill them immediately. I got some black worms and all of my normally voracious fish totally ignored them. Newly hatched brine shrimp or live white worms seem to get the pickiest eaters going.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom