Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Advice for a Novice

I am a novice to the world of saltwater aquariums. My brother gave me a 36 gallon bow-front tank for my birthday and I want to set it up as a saltwater tank able to sustain corals and other reef life. I will need advice on the following items:
Lighting--t5 vs. LED, which one is better to grow a reef? What wattage will I need for a 36 gallon tank?

Filters--what sort of filter is best (reasonable priced) for a live reef?

Pumps--how strong of a water pump is needed to simulate ocean/reef currents?

and any other advice that would be handy.

Thanks!!!

Old 08-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumscott View Post
I am a novice to the world of saltwater aquariums. My brother gave me a 36 gallon bow-front tank for my birthday and I want to set it up as a saltwater tank able to sustain corals and other reef life. I will need advice on the following items:

Lighting--t5 vs. LED, which one is better to grow a reef? What wattage will I need for a 36 gallon tank?

Filters--what sort of filter is best (reasonable priced) for a live reef?

Pumps--how strong of a water pump is needed to simulate ocean/reef currents?

and any other advice that would be handy.

Thanks!!!

Welcome to the hobby. It's very addicting and expensive, which don't go really well together.

For lighting, it depends on your budget and what you want to keep.

As for flow, I'd look into the Jebao pumps. In a reef, especially with SPS flow that varies is very useful.
Two WP-10s would do wonders.

With filters, a sump will be your best bet. They are an external tank where your skimmer, refugium and other equipment will go.
You plumb this by drilling the tank or using a HOB overflow.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

+1 on the sump and I would put a protein skimmer and a filter sock. I would get the esshoppes overflow box. And a little quiet ones return pump. You can also must some live rock and cheto Down there.

-The Reeffantic 🐠🎣
Old 08-12-2014, 01:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yup would say the same don't go buying a super filter plenty of live rock is the best natural filter, you really only need a filter for mechanical filtration (spare food other rubbish) just make sure you have plenty of flow ... Also I use a small surface skimmer just to keep the water looking good but also filtering top part of tank where spare food /floating rubbish collects ... That's my advice but not all agree it's simply down to cost and personal preference

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tags
advice

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com